I have the following simple code. It consists of an array with 4 items. It first displays the items, then asks the user to delete as many as they want.(with an option to continue without deleting anything). After the user has removed or not removed items, the program will display the new update list.

i do not know how to delete specific things from my array. this is the code: (it works until you delete something, if you choose to not delete anything it works fine)

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;
class test
{
          public:
             int del;
             string word;
             void one(test array[]);
             };

void test::one(test array[]){
     array[0].word="0 cat";
     array[1].word="1 dog";
     array[2].word="2 bird";
     array[3].word="3 fish";
     for(int i=0; i<4; i++){
cout<<array[i].word<<endl;
     }
     cout<<"DELETE NOW. input 4 to confirm/finish"<<endl;
     for(int i=0; i<3; i++){
             cin>>del;
             if(del==4)
             break;
             delete &array[del].word;
     }

for(int i=0; i<4; i++){
cout<<array[i].word<<endl;
     } 

}
int main(){
    test array[10];
    test tes;
    tes.one(array);
    system("pause");
    return 0;
}

any help is greatly appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You can't actually delete an element from the array. All you can do is mark it as an unused element. There are numerous ways to do that and it doesn't really matter which one you use as long as your program recognizes the element as being unused. For example, in the array you posted you could just set the word element of the array to an empty string, then when displaying all elements of the array if word is empty then just ignore it and move on to the next element.

alright so ive set it so you can choose what to "delete". But in the code ive actually set it to 10 arrays ahead (so it becomes invisible) theres an ugly blank spot but its minor i guess. thanks for helping.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.