Hi
I need the answers one of my two questions which were asked by our teacher in class room.

Q1. Languagess are system software or application software?
Q2. In which software the languages are written? for example in which software the c++ language is written?

plz give your answer with reference or example;

best regards sameer

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

languages can either be system or application, low level languages are sure system software, higher level languages can be application but not all.

C/c++ java assembly are system software

python scripting can be said as application software

but i think the better answer is that languages are system software, their compilers

all languages compiler are developed using system software

i have a programming language called vapidus minds but it is not yet fully developed.
Fake signature snipped

Q1. Languagess are system software or application software?

Neither. Languages aren't software at all, they're abstractions designed to simplify the task of humans giving instructions to a computer. A programming language is nothing more than a set of grammatical rules that, when consumed by a compiler or interpreter, represent a consistent set of machine instructions.

Q2. In which software the languages are written? for example in which software the c++ language is written?

The answer to the previous question makes this question nonsensical.

commented: great answer :) +14

Even before the pervious question is answered question 2 is nonsensical. C++ could be written in ForTran or Cobol if the creators desired.

As Deceptikon says, the languages themselves are not software at all. Presumably, what you want to know about are the translators - compilers and interpreters - which implement the languages.

The answer is, 'yes'. Whether they are system software or application software is entirely a matter of point of view. To try and place them in fixed categories is a pretty much meaningless act.

As for what languages the translators are written in, well, as WaltP points out, you can use any Turing-complete language to write a language translator in. This is not just an academic point, either: there were at times a number of compilers written in Fortran, back when it was the dominant language for all non-business software, and I recall one case where (due to the circumstances where the programmer was operating under) someone wrote an assembler for the 8080A in COBOL. For years most compilers were written in assembly language, at least until C became popular. I myself have written a compiler in Python, though only a toy one for a course I was taking.

In actual practice, the most widely used languages for this purpose right now is probably C or C++, though Java is not uncommon, especially in the classroom. Many translators use some sort of of special-purpose languages for creating the lexical analyzer (e.g., flex) and the parser (e.g., YACC, Bison, ANTLR), though that is hardly necessary - most commercial-grade compilers have hand-written lexers and parsers for performance reasons.

In fact, Niklaus Wirth programmed the second and subsequent versions of his Pascal in the previous version of Pascal.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.