Hi,

I just installed the latest version of Visual C++ from Microsoft on a windows XP system. I have used this program before, but this time, on my new install, when I try to compile, I'm getting an error, "c:\documents and settings\user\desktop\r\listdbl.cpp(1) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'listdbl.h': No such file or directory"

What I'm trying to do:
I have a project I'm working on that has a header file "listdbl.h" and two source files that call it, "listdbl.cpp" and a driver. All files are in the same directory:
"c:\documents and settings\user\desktop\r". To start, I opened a new project and added these files. When I tried to compile "listdbl.cpp" I got that error.

What I have tried:
I have tried following the help file on "additional include directories" thinking that this is my problem (and it still may be). For the line to include a file the help says:

"The following command looks for the include files requested by MAIN.c in the following order: first in the directory containing MAIN.c, then in the \INCLUDE directory, then in the \MY\INCLUDE directory, and finally in the directories assigned to the INCLUDE environment variable.

Copy Code
CL /I \INCLUDE /I\MY\INCLUDE MAIN.C"

I tried, "CL /I \INCLUDE /I\C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Include"

And I'm still getting the same error. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
-Leia Chancellor

If they're all in the same directory, then #include "listdbl.h" Then it should find that header file just fine.

If you have #include <listdbl.h> Then you need to specify a search path.

From the command line, you might try
CL /I. prog.c

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.