Hi Everyone,
I had written the source code in .C file and compile it without any errors but when i run that program it gives me linker error.
i.e.
Linker Error : Undefined Symbol _getmaxx in module filename.c

I am using TURBO C++ version 3.0. Pls give me the solution as earliest as possible.
Thanks in Advances

Manoj Jain.

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

It means that it cant find the required function or the function defination in your file. Is that function present within your .c file ?

and why are you using a 20 year old compiler?

Pssst..dont let Mr. WaltP hear about that....:cheesy:

:mrgreen:

I'll bet it's because the instructor is a relic of the 80's and refuses to update his knowledge so his students can program in today's market. Especially since 15 years ago Borland removed graphics from the compiler and all the Borland-specific functions that he's teaching. So he must use an old compiler -- he doesn't want competition if he ever decides to go back to the industry :rolleyes:

manoj201jain, you have to compile the program with the graphics library graphics.lib on the build line and include graphics.h in the code.

I'm a relic from the '80s as well, nothing wrong with relics.
Most of us have a fair number of faithful followers who really believe in our powers, or at least are admired for our beauty :)

I'm a relic from the '80s as well, nothing wrong with relics.
Most of us have a fair number of faithful followers who really believe in our powers, or at least are admired for our beauty :)

That's true. I myself predate the PC and C. But it's the relics that are teaching hieroglyphic era code rather than today's concepts that does neither the industry nor the students any good.

if it means a lower influx of lowgrade people at the lower end of the industry it might actually help.
The flood of underqualified people entering programming jobs in the late 1990, lured by lucrative contracts to fix Y2K (and in Europe Euro) related problems is still harming the labour market.

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

maybe his teacher told him to do so. in my school we also use turbo c++

Even when I was in school, we were also asked to use the same thing, not because they didnt like other compilers but because they didnt know any other compiler existed other than MS Visual Studio and Turbo C.

Even when I was in school, we were also asked to use the same thing, not because they didnt like other compilers but because they didnt know any other compiler existed other than MS Visual Studio and Turbo C.

don't your university instructors ever use google ? But I don't know how difficult it is for you people in India to get modern compilers.

don't your university instructors ever use google ? But I don't know how difficult it is for you people in India to get modern compilers.

I am afraid, no. It really makes me sad that the level of technical education in programming and software developement is very less or stunted except for a handful of universities and which require exceptionally good grades.

All the professional developers here have either learnt programming from good text books on their own or those who visit forums (like me) or both.

When I was in school Google didn't exist :)
But we were already using more modern tools than TC 3...

HI,
Thanks to Everyone for giving me the solution. Please Let me Know Should i used Borland or MS VC++ for compling this code.

Which code ? Can you post it here if it is relevant.

BTW if you have access to MS Visual Studio and if your code doesn't use Borland specific drawing functions, then I would recommend you use Visual Studio.

HI,
Thanks to Everyone for giving me the solution. Please Let me Know Should i used Borland or MS VC++ for compling this code.

Either. Both have their good and bad points. I personally use Borland 5.5 but I'm very used to the command line. Bloodshed DevC is also good. If you already have M$, that will work fine.

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

Well, before starting c++ our teacher told us about different compilers too. they said that they will make us work with turbo c++. infact every school uses it. heaven knows why. maybe they dont want to spend thousands of dollers on MS VS. but i personally use MSVC++ or UEStudio which supports almost all compilers.

why??? oh yeah, why??

I am afraid, no. It really makes me sad that the level of technical education in programming and software developement is very less or stunted except for a handful of universities and which require exceptionally good grades.
All the professional developers here have either learnt programming from good text books on their own or those who visit forums (like me) or both.

damn right! i too learned myself.
thatz y i want to get into IIT:cheesy:

reply:::I got same problem.I resolve it........

1.Save the required file as cpp file.(eg...code.cpp)
2.Include graphics header files
#include<graphics.h>
#include<graphicslib.h>
3.see ur main() (important step)
int gd=DETECT,gm;
initgraph(&gd,&gm,"C:\\Tc\\BGI");
(after installation of turboc++3,u got BGI file.u have to provide path as in ur system)
4.Last step
Goto options->Linkers->Libraries->put ''X'(click) for Graphics library and standard run time. others should be blank.
5.Now execute the program,it really works.
---sagar reply

commented: bump four-year-old thread. -5

Hi ,
i write the code in turbo c and i m face same problem then plz tell me how to resolve this problem
i.e.
Linker Error : Undefined Symbol _initgraph in module graph

Hi Everyone,
I had written the source code in .C file and compile it without any errors but when i run that program it gives me linker error.
i.e.
Linker Error : Undefined Symbol _getmaxx in module filename.c

I am using TURBO C++ version 3.0. Pls give me the solution as earliest as possible.
Thanks in Advances

Manoj Jain.

me too same problem

Go to Options>>Linker>>Libraries. Here, checkmark graphics libraries.

Hi Friends
I had written the source code in .cpp and compile it with out any error but that program it gives me link error

ie. link error: unable to open "TCLASSS.LIB"

Thanks in Advances

search your computer to see if you have that *.lib file in your tc folder

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.