Private Access

Member Avatar
shouvik.d
Junior Poster
198 posts since Jan 2007
Reputation Points: 33 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 7 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Say if we ve certain private methods along with private data members and public methods.
other than friend function is thr any other way we access these members(they being private only) directly. its one of the requirements in a project of mine.
The real prob comes when accessing function.
say we've classes ported to us in .obj format. then going for DMA using pointers is a risky n unreliable job.

class x
{
private:
void meth1()
{
cout<<"Meth1";
}
void meth2()
{
cout<<"meth 2";
}
};
class xduplicate
{
public:
void virtual meth1();
void virtual meth2();
};
main()
{
x obj;
xduplicate *obj1;
obj1=(xduplicate *)&obj;
obj1->meth1();
}

we can access meth1 only if in class x it is virtual. i.e. the entry is in the virtual table.
But now i cant jst change the native code ported to us. i've to anyhow access the private methods without any change in native code.
wht we're plannin is x will be the producer class n xduplicate the consumer class.
x will be available as .obj along with .h file
so how can 1.

though one of the cheap n unprofesssional sol is

#define private public

but this unwantedly unveals many non required methods toopen arena

plz hlp

Member Avatar
Ravalon
Posting Whiz in Training
209 posts since Dec 2006
Reputation Points: 62 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 15 [?]

Say if we ve certain private methods along with private data members and public methods.
other than friend function is thr any other way we access these members(they being private only) directly. its one of the requirements in a project of mine.

The only other safe way is a member function of a friend class. I can think of three unsafe ways to do it, but they're all hit or miss and they all break something serious. I think you might be misunderstanding the requirement for your project.

though one of the cheap n unprofesssional sol is

#define private public

but this unwantedly unveals many non required methods toopen arena

It's also not allowed. The language standard doesn't let you redefine keywords. It's also not sure to work if the private section isn't explicit. For example.

class x
{
  void meth1()
  {
    cout<<"Meth1";
  }
  void meth2()
  {
    cout<<"meth 2";
  }
};

The default access level of a class is private, but your trick won't work with the above class because it doesn't use the private keyword explicitly. It also won't work if you don't have access to the source code because by the time a class is compiled to object code, the keywords are long gone and the preprocessor from client code won't be able to touch it.

The simple answer is that you can't do what you're asking. The complicated answer is that you can do anything if you have sufficient knowledge of how the internals of the compiler work, but it's not portable and it's more likely to seriously screw something up than do any good. ;)

Member Avatar
Bench
Posting Pro
575 posts since Feb 2006
Reputation Points: 212 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 64 [?]

It's also not allowed. The language standard doesn't let you redefine keywords.

Actually, I don't think there's anything which stops it. Consider the following code

#undef private
#define private public

int main()
{
}

On at least 2 different compilers in strict mode, this compiles without error nor warnings.

Although i still think its a very bad idea. And, as you correctly mention, this doesn't change the fact that a class defaults all its members to private.

for the OP - Re-read the requirements of your problem. It sounds to me as if you've probably misinterpreted it.

Member Avatar
Ravalon
Posting Whiz in Training
209 posts since Dec 2006

Actually, I don't think there's anything which stops it. Consider the following code

#undef private
#define private public

int main()
{
}

On at least 2 different compilers in strict mode, this compiles without error nor warnings.

The compilers might let it slide, but the language standard says it's undefined behaviour. That's legalese for 'not allowed'. ;)

Member Avatar
Bench
Posting Pro
575 posts since Feb 2006
Reputation Points: 212 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 64 [?]

The compilers might let it slide, but the language standard says it's undefined behaviour. That's legalese for 'not allowed'. ;)

In which case I stand corrected :) I haven't got access to a copy of the standard right now - although i'm somewhat surprised that Comeau allowed that through without even throwing a warning.

Member Avatar
Ravalon
Posting Whiz in Training
209 posts since Dec 2006

I haven't got access to a copy of the standard right now

Me neither. I'm just going by memory, and I could very well be wrong. ;)

although i'm somewhat surprised that Comeau allowed that through without even throwing a warning.

If I remember correctly, redefining a keyword is undefined if a header is included but nothing is said about when a header isn't included. So your snippet might be well defined but pretty much any practical use is not. That might be hard to check for and the reason why Comeau was silent. It doesn't throw a warning if you include a header either.

Member Avatar
shouvik.d
Junior Poster
198 posts since Jan 2007

I couldn't make private definition to public
as it threw the followind error in VC++ 6.0

LIBCD.lib(wincrt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol [EMAIL="_WinMain@16"]_WinMain@16[/EMAIL]
Debug/pvt.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

Member Avatar
Ravalon
Posting Whiz in Training
209 posts since Dec 2006

I couldn't make private definition to public
as it threw the followind error in VC++ 6.0

LIBCD.lib(wincrt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol [EMAIL="_WinMain@16"]_WinMain@16[/EMAIL]
Debug/pvt.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

That looks like a different problem, you're using console mode code in a Win32 mode project. It expects WinMain() as the entry point instead of main().

Member Avatar
shouvik.d
Junior Poster
198 posts since Jan 2007

it isn't a console based application.

Simple win32 appl. and main() itself is working as an entry point if i remove the lines

#undef private
#define private public
Member Avatar
Ravalon
Posting Whiz in Training
209 posts since Dec 2006

Simple win32 appl. and main() itself is working as an entry point if i remove the lines

#undef private
#define private public

Right. You're using main() as the entry point, like this.

int main()
{
  return 0;
}

But because it's a Win32 application, the runtime code is looking for WinMain() and not main().

#include <windows.h>

int WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow )
{
  return 0;
}

The linker throws that error to tell you that it can't find WinMain.

Member Avatar
John A
Vampirical Lurker
5,285 posts since Apr 2006
Reputation Points: 1,896 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 408 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 12 [?]
Team Colleague

Sure looks like one to me... ;)

#undef private
#define private public

Don't know about that, but I would first suggest you try recreating your project file and make sure it's a console-based application. Since you aren't using windows in your app, it makes it a console application. And the compiler is obviously searching for a WinMain() function, so that's why the error occurs.

Member Avatar
shouvik.d
Junior Poster
198 posts since Jan 2007

#include <iostream.h>
#undef private
#define private public
class pvt
{
private: 
 void hi()
 {
  cout<<endl<<"hi there";
 }
};

void main()
{
 pvt o;
 o.hi();
}

Compiling...
x.cpp
Linking...
x.exe - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

in VC++ 6.0
works fine u see.

Member Avatar
John A
Vampirical Lurker
Team Colleague

Ugh.

Use int main(), not void main. See my signature if you have any doubts.

You should replace #include <iostream.h> with:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

And then it will compile on a "real" compiler. VC++ 6.0 is far too outdated anyway - go grab VS Express 2005 or Code::Blocks.

Member Avatar
shouvik.d
Junior Poster
198 posts since Jan 2007

Except ur request to switch to a new compiler like VS 2005 etc. I did wat u aksed.

No errors no warnings works fine. it did compile on the real VC++ compiler

Member Avatar
John A
Vampirical Lurker
Team Colleague

Just to prove it, I took the code you posted originally and put it into my compiler - it compiled fine, both with and without the "private" keyword redefined to public, and I was able to access the member functions as if they were public. And that's on gcc.

So although it proves that a standard compiler allows you to do such a thing, I still don't think it's a good idea.

No errors no warnings works fine. it did compile on the real VC++ compiler

I don't consider VC++ 6.0 to be a real compiler. It lets things such as iostream.h and void main slip by without even a warning, when a good compiler should absoloutely refuse code like that.

Member Avatar
shouvik.d
Junior Poster
198 posts since Jan 2007

no this doesn't hold good for VC++6.0

i need to redefine the keyword.

Member Avatar
shouvik.d
Junior Poster
198 posts since Jan 2007

Now this way what has happened is i've deviated from my main subject. I'm in dire necessity to really access the private members keeping VC++ 6.0 as my native platform as that falls under the requiremen specification of the project.

plz help

Member Avatar
Ravalon
Posting Whiz in Training
209 posts since Dec 2006

Now this way what has happened is i've deviated from my main subject. I'm in dire necessity to really access the private members keeping VC++ 6.0 as my native platform as that falls under the requiremen specification of the project.

plz help

Can you post the actual requirements that you're working from? What you're trying to do doesn't make sense for any reasonable project.

Member Avatar
shouvik.d
Junior Poster
198 posts since Jan 2007

Can you post the actual requirements that you're working from? What you're trying to do doesn't make sense for any reasonable project.

The above requirements alone. i cant chng anything in the lib/obj files given to me only the header will be given along. so all i need is to access the private members in those classes in my appl.

i'd be linking those files with my application.

hope i answer ur queries

Member Avatar
John A
Vampirical Lurker
Team Colleague

The above requirements alone. i cant chng anything in the lib/obj files given to me only the header will be given along. so all i need is to access the private members in those classes in my appl.

i'd be linking those files with my application.

Ravalon's right; this doesn't seem reasonable. Can you tell us exactly why you need to be able to access these member functions? If necessary, contact the project's head programmer. Because I think this is a sign of bad program design.

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article