I can't seem to remember what it's called, nor can I articulate a concise explanation to even begin searching the net. (I tried) Does anyone know what that list of Icons like my computer/mydocuments ect that appear to the left in windows XP open and save dialog boxes? I know that it can be edited. Visual Studio on xp does it for its own dialogs. and I seem to remember that you can globally edit it too.

Does anyone remember its name, or even better know any good links to modifying it in C#. Ultimately what I would like to do is have my application set a directory to that shortcut bar globally in XP and to the treeview favorites in vista and 7 So that when you are working in other applications that use the standard open/save dialogs that it's easy to find the project directory you are working in.

Ideas?, comments? links? the proper name of those icons would be nice too.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I believe it is called a side bar or icon bar.
Hope it helps.

that was close enough for me to search and find the answer. Many people call it the sidebar, but its actually called the "Places bar" Thanks Danny.

Apparently there are properties build into the open and save file dialog boxes for doing this.

// Add Pictures custom place using GUID.
    openFileDialog1.CustomPlaces.Add("33E28130-4E1E-4676-835A-98395C3BC3BB");

// Add Links custom place using GUID
    openFileDialog1.CustomPlaces.Add(
        new FileDialogCustomPlace(
        new Guid("BFB9D5E0-C6A9-404C-B2B2-AE6DB6AF4968")));

// Add Windows custom place using file path.
    openFileDialog1.CustomPlaces.Add(@"c:\Windows");

openFileDialog1.ShowDialog();

But for a more global approach you can modify the registry.

http://www.auxtools.com/placesbar.html

commented: He, we should definitly meet in a bar someday ! +8
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.