Okay, this may sound silly but I haven't done a console app in over two years. I have two quick questions:

1. 1 For a console app, does .NET need to be installed on a PC to run the app executable?
  2. 2 What is the line code to launch an external program? I already have the drive and path variables set, but I don't remember how to have the app launch another program.

If the answer to #1 above is yes, is there a CS2CPP conversion I can do? I'm using VS2010.

Thanks,
Hendo

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

1) Yes
2) Process.Start()

No free ones that I know of, but there is this.

1) Yes
2) Process.Start()

No free ones that I know of, but there is this.

Process.Start() works in console apps? Well,that makes things easier.

I appreciate the help!
Hendo

1 For a console app, does .NET need to be installed on a PC to run the app executable?

Yes, it still runs on the CLR and uses the .NET Framework Class Library.

2 What is the line code to launch an external program? I already have the drive and path variables set, but I don't remember how to have the app launch another program.

The Process class launches other programs. For a simple setup, Process.Start should work fine.

If the answer to #1 above is yes, is there a CS2CPP conversion I can do? I'm using VS2010.

There are various converters out there; I'm sure Google can find more than enough. Your mileage may vary, though, depending on which C# features and .NET Framework classes you're using that don't have a simple, native C++ equivalent.

My own experience with code converters is that they are all a bit shy of the glory--there's always some manual cleanup/conversion you'll have to do after the automated process is done.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.