I searched but couldn't find a proper answer for this...may be I didn't look deep enough. Anyways, little insight from you guys will only make things easier. So hear me out.

this is for my final year research project. I just need concepts and if any links I can read more.

So this application is a distributed one for a hotel which has 3 branches (including the main hotel) in location A, B, C.
I & (my colleagues) have developed the database, business logic, and 3 separate GUIs for the billing, bar and the kitchen. All are working perfectly and we used .NET remoting for this. this is the whole system and GUIs connected to the business through LAN.

This system, should be deployed in each location (A,B,C) and from the main hotel (A), I should be able to view the details of other locations (B,C). and all 3 systems should be connected through the internet.

problem is, how do I do that?

I just wanna view the information of other places and may be take printouts. that is not relevant for the question i guess.

The database is not distributed, each location has its own database. If I were to use a web service, how can I do it more cost-effectively? where do I have to deploy the service?

as a side note, I have developed a simple chat system (remoting) and tried to connect it through internet with a friend but it didn't work. If anyone knows why?

please be kind enough to provide any other relevant information on this topic. and please ask questions.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

When you say view the details and all three should be connected,I take it that the main location would simply need access to the database of locations B and C so it view data. Connecting to different databases is simple. You could add functionality to location A's software to access these other databases pretty easily by usng their IP address. A web service could do exactly the same thing, just store it where it makes the most sense (does location A have a web server running?)

As for your chat problem, I think we'll need some more information. You've tried it with both firewalls off?

Hope that helps,

When you say view the details and all three should be connected,I take it that the main location would simply need access to the database of locations B and C so it view data. Connecting to different databases is simple. You could add functionality to location A's software to access these other databases pretty easily by usng their IP address. A web service could do exactly the same thing, just store it where it makes the most sense (does location A have a web server running?)

As for your chat problem, I think we'll need some more information. You've tried it with both firewalls off?

Hope that helps,

I thought I could find a way to access the business tier rather than data tier across internet. but the database access might be the solution I suppose.

No, isn't there any other way I could access my chat clients and server without turning off firewalls? how does other chat software do it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.