I'm developing an application in which i want the software to be executed at any place. So i want the database to be placed in one computer. This is the scenario. All the computers will be networked. Can i do this in c#.net ? Please tell me the procedures. Thank You

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Of course you can. It really isn't a C# issue. The database server should be configured to allow remote access and that's it. There are a lot of tutorials about how to connect to a DB server.

After you decided which one you'll use (MSSQL, MySql, Oracle...) just enable remote access, authentication and access rights and you're good to go.

If you need any specific guidance let me know and I'll help you out.

Deploying a database can be tricky as well, even though it's straightforward to require that a database server be present for the application to work. In the past I've used three different deployment methods:

1. Build the database locally and provide a backup file that can be restored at the deployment site.
  2. Provide scripts that will automatically create tables, indexes, and initial data.
  3. Use the Entity Framework to create and update database schemas.

I overwhelmingly prefer #3, but there's a bit of a learning curve for the Entity Framework. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.