I am looking to make a 3D game, I have made plenty of fun ones in 2D using SDL but have yet to attempt a 3D (fps style) game. Does anybody know either a way to do 3D with SDL, or some other similar or easy to use library that would allow me to use 3D?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

OpenGL is dying. Try directX

commented: False -3

Forget what sergent said, especially if you are using SDL or any other cross-platform GUI library. OpenGL is the way to go. GLUT and GLUI are also fairly feature-full as well.

For a kick start, you can look at full-blown game renderers as well. For instance, Ogre3D is a nice and simple one (and surprisingly feature-rich), and it won't blow your brains in terms of coding either, just middle-of-the-road, simple OOP.

OpenGL is dying. Try directX

So what exactly are you saying is replacing OpenGL on non-MS operating systems? Please, please, realise that the computing world is larger than your favourite operating system running on your preferred PC.

Thank you very much!

Not cool! Negetaive for telling the truth! I have nothings against OpenGL but the windows is REALLY trying to kill it. Plus I like to use DirectX because it got DiretInput and sound and other stuff.

Not cool! Negetaive for telling the truth! I have nothings against OpenGL but the windows is REALLY trying to kill it. Plus I like to use DirectX because it got DiretInput and sound and other stuff.

Prove that opengl is dying and I'll offset the negative rep.

Can you name a game that uses opengl, other than WoW?
GTA IV, Crysis, Gears of War 2, source engine are all made with DirectX. DirectX also got other nice things like DirectSound or Input. OpenGL is far behind Direct3D and needs a huge cleanup and restruction. The only reason OpenGL is not yet dead is because there is no crossplatform alternative (for Linux and PS3).

here are a bunch of games/applications that use OpenGL.

And you said other than WoW even tho that uses both Direct3D and OpenGL (depending on platform).

OpenGL and Direct3D are just like mac and windows, people have their preferences.

Ok, not ANY game but any popular games 2007-2011 with good graphics.

commented: stop trolling. -1
commented: OpenGL rulez -1

Read this article. Although openGL isn't as popular as it use to be. It doesn't make it less powerful than directX. They are both capable of doing the same thing. The only difference is the popularity.

Member Avatar for nssltd

Ok, not ANY game but any popular games 2007-2011 with good graphics.

When you looked on the list of open gl programs did you see Portal 2? All be it for
Mac OSX but still Portal 2 is the most talked about game on steam and alot of forums.
Also i believe the first portal used open gl.

USE UNITY! it uses opengl and it's for EVERY PLATFORM! (almost) but it's good

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.