HI!

I recently joined this forum as I am about to start a degree in Computer Science and although I have an A level in Mathematics and an interest for computers, I have not studied computer science and wish to read up about it before my course begins. I'm hoping to understand some basics but do not know were to start. Could anyone suggest a website or books which can provide an introduction to computer science without expecting you to have too much previous knowledge on the subject. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I am in my 3rd year of my BSIT (Computer Science Degree) and I am currently employeed as a software engineer. Kind of funny since I dont really have much experience yet, I am a retired Military Cop in rehab from injuries, but I will try to help out a bit. Personally I suggest checking out some of the Sams Publishing books. The teach yourself in 21 days series has been quite helpful to me. Also I dont have many specific sites as I generally just do a google search on each topic as I go, but I just wanted to say best of luck to you and dont let yourself get frustrated. Learning programming is not the easiest but it is a rewarding and enjoyable task.

HI!

I recently joined this forum as I am about to start a degree in Computer Science and although I have an A level in Mathematics and an interest for computers, I have not studied computer science and wish to read up about it before my course begins. I'm hoping to understand some basics but do not know were to start. Could anyone suggest a website or books which can provide an introduction to computer science without expecting you to have too much previous knowledge on the subject. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Is it possible to get a bachelor of computer science online and finish the degree. I have an associates degree on business and I am looking into finishing my bachelor in computer science. But I have heard that computer science is a hard major and not an easy career to take onli. Any Help would be great.

a) yes, possible
b) no, not worth doing (not because CS is hard - no harder than any other serious field - but because an online degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on, even if you print it out)
c) this thread is seven years old and unrelated to your question, please start a new thread
d)... and maybe do it in the Computer Science forum

I think that about covers it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.