:cry: I am trying to create a 2d array that will store the information i hold in the txt file (which is in this format x,y - 45 50
36 47
60 56 etc

then i am supposed to calculate the distance btn x and y and store it in a n-1 matrix(multidimmensional matrix).
To read the information from the file i am using a buffer reader and tokenizer.

So far my attempts have not been successful and i am running out of time - can someone help pls??

N.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

>So far my attempts have not been successful
What attempts have you made? What are you having trouble with? Opening the file? Reading from the file? Calculating the distance? Or setting up the matrix and filling it properly?

What attempts have you made?

i have tried creating a 2 dimmensional array -

public static void main(String args[])
    {
        int coords[][];
        coords = new int [4][]; 

for (int i=0; i<4; i++) 
        {
            coords[i] = new int [5];

for (int j=0; j<5; j++)
            { 
                                         coords[i][j] = 0;
            }

What are you having trouble with?

I dont seem to be getting it right and i dont know how to make the array read the coordinates from the text file with the distances:

101    103    
107    109    
113    127    
131    137    
139    149    
151    157    
163    167    
173    179    
181    191    
193    197   

This is my first problem. I'm supposed to use a bufferreader and tokenizer to read the file but my java is not that good and i am having problem doing that.

I have an idea of the calculating distance part but i cant go that far without getting the first part right.

Can you help?? Am tearing my hair out :-(

Opening the file? Reading from the file? Calculating the distance? Or setting up the matrix and filling it properly?[/QUOTE]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.