.,'is any knows the code to delete a directory in java...
help me pls...

YOUR ANSWER IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED!..

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi alpe gulay,

It seems from your questions that you are a bit of a beginner at Java. Take a look at the post at the top of this forum. It contains several great links that might be able to help you in your journey. The website java.sun.com is particularly helpful, with tutorials, examples and the API documentation as well as many other Java resources.

In answer to this specific question, there are probably many ways to do what you want. Off the top of my head I would suggest taking a look at the java.io.File.deleteOnExit() method for a simple way of deleting any file (and therefore directory) when the virtual machine terminates.

Hope this helps,
darkagn :)

A directory is deleted just like any file - with File.delete(). A directory must be empty to be deleted, so if it contains files you must recurse the directory and delete all files and subdirectories first.

[QUOTE=alpe gulay;600687].,'is any knows the code to delete a directory in java...
help me pls...

YOUR ANSWER IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED!..[/QUOTE]
There is no API in java that deletes a folder directly. You first have to recursively delete all the contents of the folder and then only you can delete folder.

Like this

// Deletes all files and subdirectories under dir.
// Returns true if all deletions were successful.
// If a deletion fails, the method stops attempting to delete and returns false.
public static boolean deleteDir(File dir) {
    if (dir.isDirectory()) {
        String[] children = dir.list();
        for (int i=0; i<children.length; i++) {
            boolean success = deleteDir(new File(dir, children[i]));
            if (!success) {
                return false;
            }
        }
    }

// The directory is now empty so delete it
    return dir.delete();
}

.,thank you so much...

actually i am still beginners in java...that's why!!!!
thanx a lot!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.