Hello all,

I am developing chat application(not applet) in java, I want it to be able to run over internet

I have tried it in LAN with Socket programming
I found something here
It is working fine

But how can i run it over internet:?:
:confused:
If i tcpserver.java(or tcpserver.class) to the web hosting server.
I will not be able to run server class that can listen to client.
Please clear my doubt as i am learning this for first time
If i am missing something please tell me !

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

you have to forwards requests on which ever port your chat server is listening on to the machine on which the chat server is located and if you have a firewall on you have to allow request to the same port through the firewall

you have to forwards requests on which ever port your chat server is listening on to the machine on which the chat server is located and if you have a firewall on you have to allow request to the same port through the firewall

I am not getting what you are talking:-/

After uploading my file to the web server(which i will get from web hosting company) without executing that file how can that application listen to the client port???

And i cannot setup the firewall rules in the servers firewall to forward the port.

Dail-up modems, ISDN, HFC and ADSL are all used for residential access. For each of these access technologies, provide a range of transmission rates and comment on whether the bandwidth is shared or dedicated.

I am a College Student

And not getting the points what are you talking

are you talking about Bandwidth of the server???
If it is

The bandwidth of the server is shared

@topest1. we can't really help you if you haven't a clue of what u are trying to do. I suggest you go to your college's library and pick up a book or two on Networking and Java Network programming.

Thank You for the support .././...../....

I will look for the book in the library

Once again Thank You../.../.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.