Hi all,

I've a problem: my application must convert ms word documents (imported from another system) into rtf documents, in order to be manipulated with OOo APIs and to be immune from mistakes (for coding incompatibility reasons).

I ask you: how can I manipulate ms word documents directly from my Java application? There are APIs (like POI or OOo) that allow me to do my work without any coding incompatibility?

Thanks in advance. Best regards,

-Paolo

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi all,

I've a problem: my application must convert ms word documents (imported from another system) into rtf documents, in order to be manipulated with OOo APIs and to be immune from mistakes (for coding incompatibility reasons).

I ask you: how can I manipulate ms word documents directly from my Java application? There are APIs (like POI or OOo) that allow me to do my work without any coding incompatibility?

-Paolo

I've found Jacob, a library that wraps the COM APIs into a Java library (acting as a bridge technology), but this solution requires a Windows server for conversion within production system architecture.

I'm looking for a Java library more powerfull than Apache POI to realize the conversion from doc to rtf.

Can anyone help me?

--Paolo

You mentioned the OpenOffice API above. Have you tried that? I know they have a java-based API for automation, but I haven't used it personally.

You mentioned the OpenOffice API above. Have you tried that? I know they have a java-based API for automation, but I haven't used it personally.

Currently my system uses OOo Java APIs to load and manipulate MS Word documents, but from some time, I'm observing problems in manipulated documents (output of OOo manipulations) concerning formatting and styles; therefore, I think that there are some coding incompatibility between Ms Word standard coding and OOo OpenDocument Standard. For this reason, I'm looking for solutions to obtain Rich Text Format from Ms Word documents without using the OOo APIs.

Thanks. Regards,

--Paolo

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.