I need help on my project. This is what I have so far:

import javax.swing.JOptionPane;

public class Convert{
	public static void main(String[] args){

String choice = "";

do {
		choice = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Would you like to enter a temperature?");
		}

while(choice.equals("No") | choice.equals("no") | choice.equals("N") | choice.equals("n"));{
		choice = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "What is the temperature you would like to input?");
		choice = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Is the temperature C (for celsius) or F (for Farenheit)?");
		}

}
}

I have to ask the user if they want to enter a temperature, and with that response I have to ask them what the temp is, whether its Celsius or Farenheit, and give them the conversion.
Any suggestions?
Appreciate it!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Okay, so the formulas for temperature are:
F = 1.8*C + 32
C = (F-32)/1.8

try incorporating these into your program using if/else statements checking for whether or not it is celcius.

After you do this, come back with your new code and i can help you out more if you still need it.

TJ

This is what I have now. Any more suggestions?

public class Convert{
		public static void main(String[] args){
		String choice = "";
		int result;
		int degree;

while(choice.equals("Yes") || choice.equals("yes") || choice.equals("YES") || choice.equals("y") || choice.equals("Y"));
		choice = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null,"Would you like to enter a temperature?");

result = Integer.parseInt(JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "What is the temperature you would like to have converted?"));
	degree = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Is the temperature c (for celsius) or f (for Farenheit)?");

public static double celsiusToFarenheit(double celsius){
		if (degree == c)
		celsius = (5.0/9) * Farenheit - 32;

}

public static double farenheitToCelsius(double farenheit){
		if (degree == f)
		farenheitt = (9.0/5) * celsius + 32;

}
	}
}

Your program isn't going to work. In your method celciusToFarenheit, you tried to compare with "if degree == c". However, if you look at this link you will see that the JOptionPane class's showInputDialog method (the one you called, where you said degree = JOptionPane.showInputDialog...) returns a String which is an Object. Since you cannot use "==" to compare Objects for equality you need to use a method such as the equals() method to test if two Strings are equal.

Another reason why you cannot use degree = JOptionPane.showInputDialog is because no showInputDialog method exists that returns an int. Did you even run your code? I could be mistaken and be looking at the wrong doc or something... but I'm pretty sure if you run your code it is going to give you a compiler error for what I just mentioned, and even if you got past that, you have the logical error with trying to compare things using '==' that only works for ints (and char, etc)

I knew that one had a lot of errors. It was what I just had come up with after working on it for a while. This is what I am working with now:

public class Conversion{
		public static void main(String [] args){

String choice = "";
		double fahrenheit = 0;
		double celsius = 0;
		double c = 0;
		double f = 0;

while(choice.equals("Yes") || choice.equals("yes") || choice.equals("Y") || choice.equals("y"));{
		choice = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Would you like to enter a temperature for conversion?");
		}
		Integer.parseInt(JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "What is the temperature you would like to have converted?"));
		JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Is the temperature c (for Celsius) or f (for Fahrenheit)?");
	}

public static double celsiusToFahrenheit(double celsius){
		double celsius = (5.0/9 * fahrenheit - 32);
		JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "The temperature is " + celsius);
	}
	public static double fahrenheitToCelsius(double fahrenheit){
		double fahrenheit = (9.0/5 * celsius + 32);
		JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "The temperature you entered is " + fahrenheit);
	}
}

these are the 4 errors I end up with:

C:\Documents and Settings\student\My Documents\Conversion.java:20: celsius is already defined in celsiusToFahrenheit(double)
		double celsius = (5.0/9) * fahrenheit - 32;
		       ^
C:\Documents and Settings\student\My Documents\Conversion.java:20: cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable fahrenheit
		double celsius = (5.0/9) * fahrenheit - 32;
		                           ^
C:\Documents and Settings\student\My Documents\Conversion.java:24: fahrenheit is already defined in fahrenheitToCelsius(double)
		double fahrenheit = (9.0/5) * celsius + 32;
		       ^
C:\Documents and Settings\student\My Documents\Conversion.java:24: cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable celsius
		double fahrenheit = (9.0/5) * celsius + 32;
		                              ^
4 errors

Tool completed with exit code 1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.