I have two questions that are Eclipse and Mac OS X specific.

Question 1: Referring to eclipse preferences > java > Installed JRE's > Execution Environment:
Can someone explain the [ execution environment's ] and compatible [ JRE's ]?
I'm interpretting this as the execution environment being the JVM eclipse is to run in and the JRE as the environment you'll run your code in written with the api's contained in that JRE. I'm not real clear on this.

Question 2: From the eclipse menu: Help > Install new software > which invokes the install wizard then select [ what is already installed ] you see different categories of installs [ installed software & features & plugins ]. What is a definition of these types of installed components? This may sound like a moronic question but I'd like to get a more granular definition. Juding from the different types of installed components, It leads me to believe that I can perform an install of a featue independent of software or plugins although if this is the case, I don't know how.

Also, ( this is where it may get Mac specific ) when I search for these feature and plugin packages on my Mac I can't locate them. For example: the plugin name [ apache ant ] with a plugin id of [ org.apache.ant ]. I interpret this as org.apache.ant being contained in a jar file named something like apacheant under the /Applications/eclipse/ directory where I have eclipse installed. But I can't find it.

I've seen a lot of extemely knowledgeable post's on this site and I'm certain someone knows what I'm trying to convey here. Anyone who can eclucidate on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
gjames

Replying to my own post here. I've found the plugin packages I was referring to in question two. They're located in /Applications/eclipse/plugins features.
I'm still curious about how eclipse refers to features vs. plugins especially when it comes to installing new ones.

Regards,
gjames
_______

I have two questions that are Eclipse and Mac OS X specific.

Question 1: Referring to eclipse preferences > java > Installed JRE's > Execution Environment:
Can someone explain the [ execution environment's ] and compatible [ JRE's ]?
I'm interpretting this as the execution environment being the JVM eclipse is to run in and the JRE as the environment you'll run your code in written with the api's contained in that JRE. I'm not real clear on this.

Question 2: From the eclipse menu: Help > Install new software > which invokes the install wizard then select [ what is already installed ] you see different categories of installs [ installed software & features & plugins ]. What is a definition of these types of installed components? This may sound like a moronic question but I'd like to get a more granular definition. Juding from the different types of installed components, It leads me to believe that I can perform an install of a featue independent of software or plugins although if this is the case, I don't know how.

Also, ( this is where it may get Mac specific ) when I search for these feature and plugin packages on my Mac I can't locate them. For example: the plugin name [ apache ant ] with a plugin id of [ org.apache.ant ]. I interpret this as org.apache.ant being contained in a jar file named something like apacheant under the /Applications/eclipse/ directory where I have eclipse installed. But I can't find it.

I've seen a lot of extemely knowledgeable post's on this site and I'm certain someone knows what I'm trying to convey here. Anyone who can eclucidate on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
gjames

I found the answer in 'Pro Eclipse 3 for Java Developers' by Berthold Daum quoted below:

The Features section lists the installed features. A feature usually consists of a set of plug-ins that work together to provide specific functionality. For example, the Java IDE is a feature.

Replying to my own post here. I've found the plugin packages I was referring to in question two. They're located in /Applications/eclipse/plugins features.
I'm still curious about how eclipse refers to features vs. plugins especially when it comes to installing new ones.

Regards,
gjames
_______

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.