Hello everyone,

I have heard that the search engine of Yahoo is based on open source search technology, is that true? If it is true, what open source search technology is it using? Is Yahoo search engine itself open source?

thanks in advance,
George

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I know Google runs (at least in part) on Python and Linux servers, but the software itself is most definitely NOT public.
Yahoo! almost certainly is similar.

Of course pretty much three quarter of the web runs on Apache or Apache related products :)

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I thought yahoo ran on google search.

No, it doesn't.
Yahoo! has a contract with Google to provide part of their search results (probably certain categories), but that contract is set to expire.
They have their own engine as well, which has been under active development in the past (maybe they subcontracted to Google in order to have the time to improve upon it).

No, it doesn't.
Yahoo! has a contract with Google to provide part of their search results (probably certain categories), but that contract is set to expire.
They have their own engine as well, which has been under active development in the past (maybe they subcontracted to Google in order to have the time to improve upon it).

Yeah, Yeah. That's what I heard. I just couldn't remember right.

Thanks JeffHeaton,

I've heard that too. I think it just means that they are using PHP and probably Linux some too. See the following URL.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-963937.html

I really doubt that the actual Yahoo search engine, itself, is open source.

Jeff Heaton
http://www.heatonresearch.com

Your reply is very helpful. Do you know any open source search engine technologies?

regards,
George

Thanks jwenting,

I know Google runs (at least in part) on Python and Linux servers, but the software itself is most definitely NOT public.
Yahoo! almost certainly is similar.

Of course pretty much three quarter of the web runs on Apache or Apache related products :)

Do you know any open source search engine technologies?

regards,
George

Thanks server_crash,

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I thought yahoo ran on google search.

Do you know any open source search engine technologies?

regards,
George

Hi everyone,

I know this is a bit late so i apologize for it

I finally found out what search engine Yahoo is using. I did alot of digging and you were right it was something open source called Lucene and its Java based.

Naturally i wasn't satisfied so i did more digging so i created a JEditorPane and set the URL to google.com and when i entered my search and clicked on the search button to search nothing happened because its javascript(most probably) but when i went to yahoo.com and searched the engine after three seconds i got the results of my search. Why this is so because the underlying main search itself is java

This is the location of the search api they are using

http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/

Yahoo main engine is built on top of this but yahoo's engine itself is not open source
but their main core which uses lucene is open source

I hope this has helped you

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Thanks Richard,

Naturally i wasn't satisfied so i did more digging so i created a JEditorPane and set the URL to google.com and when i entered my search and clicked on the search button to search nothing happened because its javascript(most probably) but when i went to yahoo.com and searched the engine after three seconds i got the results of my search. Why this is so because the underlying main search itself is java

Your reply is very helpful and great! I have a question about your statements above, that is, I can not find out the purpose of creating JEditorPanel, can not find why you say it is the trouble of javascript. Could you give a more detailed description please?

regards,
George

George, your canned "your reply is very helpful, but do you ..." is getting rather annoying. It doesn't sound like you mean it at all, but rather just copy it from somewhere as an insult to those trying to help you.

Thanks jwenting,

George, your canned "your reply is very helpful, but do you ..." is getting rather annoying. It doesn't sound like you mean it at all, but rather just copy it from somewhere as an insult to those trying to help you.

I am very sorry that my reply makes you feel unhappy. I simply want to say you are a very good buddy. You know, my native language is not English, so sometimes I can not find appropriate words. ;)

regards,
George

Just don't make it sound like a canned recording, that's all :)

No problem, jwenting. I will try my best to improve my English. :rolleyes:

Just don't make it sound like a canned recording, that's all :)

regards,
George

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.