we given a program department program which user enters a number to a specific department and now our teacher wants us to convert that to a switch and use enum data type having a little trouble with some of the errors.

import java.util.Scanner;

enum MenuOptions currentPrompt { BILLING, FORECLOSURE, LISTING, FINANCING, HR, AGENT }

public class phone_Call2
{
	public static void main(String [] args)
	{
		int currentPrompt; 
		int phone_Number;
		Scanner keyboard = new Scanner(System.in);

System.out.println("Thank you for calling Nick's Real Estate.");

System.out.println("Please select which department you would like: 1 for billing, 2 for sales, 3 for listing of houses, \n4 for financing, 5 for human resource, and 6 for an agent. ");
		phone_Number = keyboard.nextInt();

if(phone_Number == 1)
			{
				currentPrompt = MenuOptions.Billing;	
			}

else if(phone_Number == 2)
			{
				currentPrompt = MenuOptions.Foreclosure;
			}

else if(phone_Number == 3)
			{
				currentPrompt = MenuOptions.Listing;
			}

else if(phone_Number == 4)
			{
				currentPrompt = MenuOptions.Financing;
			}

else if(phone_Number == 5)
			{	
				currentPrompt = MenuOptions.Hr;
			}

else if (phone_Number == 6)
			{
				currentPrompt = MenuOptions.Agent;
			}

switch(currentPrompt)
			{			

case BILLING:
			{
					System.out.println("You have pressed 1 and you have reach the billing department.");
					System.out.println("I am sorry all associates are busy but if you leave your \naccount number, name, and phone we will get back to you as soon as possible.");
					break;
			}

case FORECLOSURE:
			{
					System.out.println("You have pressed 2 and you have reached the forclosed department.");
					System.out.println("I am sorry all sales persons is putting leins against houses please leave a message.");
					break;
			}

case LISTING:
			{
					System.out.println("You have pressed 3 and you have reached the house listing department.");
					System.out.println("I am sorry everyone is putting houses on the market but please leave a message.");						
					break;
			}

case FINANCING:
			{
					System.out.println("You have pressed 4 and you have reached the financing department.");
					System.out.println("I am sorry all representatives are analize numbers please leave a short message.");
					break;
			}

case HR:
			 {	
					System.out.println("You have pressed 5 and you have reached the human resource department.");
					System.out.println("I am sorry all recruiters are recuiting others please leave a message.");
					break;
			}

case AGENT:
			{
					System.out.println("You have pressed 6 and you have reached the agent department.");
					System.out.println("I am sorry all agents are out in the field please leave a short message.");
					break;
			}

default: 
			{	
			System.out.println("That number is invalid. Press number between 1 and 6.");
			}
		}
	}		
}

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

here are some of the errors i am getting

phone_Call2.java:11: '{' expected
enum MenuOptions currentPrompt { BILLING, FORECLOSURE, LISTING, FINANCING, HR, AGENT }
                                                                                  ^
phone_Call2.java:11: <identifier> expected
                                        ^
phone_Call2.java:11: ';' expected
                                                                                    ^
phone_Call2.java:13: ',', '}', or ';' expected
public class phone_Call2
^
phone_Call2.java:13: '}' expected
public class phone_Call2
      ^
5 errors

I don't know what you intended for line 3, but
is not a valid enum declaration. You can't have 2 names like that after the enum keyword.

and since you reuse the name currentPrompt and use MenuOptions as name for your enums, I suggest you drop currentPrompt in the line JamesCherrill mentioned

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.