Hi folks,

I'm new here and looking for a simple but educational&interesting idea for my CS project. It's my first year and we'll work in teams, so it should not be too difficult to handle, but also not so simple. I'm waiting for your suggestions.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

how about a 'random project generator'? or a search engine searching the forum for 'project ideas'?

here's a short summary of why (maybe) we shouldn't give you too much ideas:

1. we do not know what you have studied/still study, what techniques you've seen and which you haven't.
2. we do not know what your teacher expects of your project.
3. part of your assignment is: finding and deciding on a project you are confident
you can make with the knowledge you have
4. we don't know what you're interested in. sure, we can give you topics enough, but if it's something we think is interesting, but you think is lame as hell, you won't stay motivated to work on it.
5. we don't know the time-limit you have, or what effort you are willing/able to put in it. we could give you an assignment that might take you three months to write decently, but if your deadline is in a few weeks, or if due to other assignments, you don't have more than two weeks to work on it, well ... you see why that might be a problem, right?

seriously, this list could go on and on. best thing is for you and your fellow students to choose something you can and want to write within the limitations you have.

commented: Agreed +16
Member Avatar for hfx642

Do a project that would be usefull or beneficial to you.
You would have more interest to complete it and do a good job.
Possibly, in the future, make it into a marketable product.
If not... It's still a learning experience.

CS102 Possible Project Ideas

This is from our lecturer's webpage. I know, it is difficult but please give me an idea looking the project ideas in this list. The deadline to decide what we are going to do is coming, and we can't decide anything yet. Thanks in advance.

Jesus, just pick one already. You have an entire list and you're waiting for people on the internet to tell you what to do? Seriously?

@Ezzaral no, it'd better not be from there. they are just ideas.

Direct quote from that page:

You are free to choose one of these or suggest your own project, however, you must obtain your instructor's permission before starting.

@Ezzaral I know that, I'm saying it'd better not to choose from that list.

then choose on that's not on that list. part of your task is to CHOOSE one, not to let someone else choose for you.

why are you answering like that? I'm just looking for different & interesting ideas. That's all.

because you are looking for someone to do what you should do.
your prof, and your future employer, will be expecting of you that you are capable to stuff like this (at the VERY least) on your own.

to quote one line of that list you provided:

Note: You might also consider writing software to support some aspect of your courses. Ask your teachers if there is anything they would like. Having a real customer provides an excellent incentive! Another, more challenging, option would be to add some new functionality to an open source project!

have you asked any of your teachers for their input yet? have you asked them whether or not you can write something for them?

besides, as I stated before, how on earth are WE supposed to know what YOU consider to be interesting?

before marking posts as negative, you may as well try and figure out what it is exactly we're trying to tell you, instead of ignoring the feedback you are receiving.

we don't come to this forum to help you decide what you should do for your project, we're more eager in help you solving any trouble you get into while developing it.

I'm just getting different ideas from different people. If you don't give an ideas or suggestions, why are you trying to make things different??? I won't do what you would say exactly, as I said many times, I'm just looking for something different. It is that simple. Please don't try to make it some stupid conversation. From the beginning of this thread, I've just asked a simple question: If you have an idea which you find interesting, can you tell me that for my project? It does not mean that, I'll do that. I'm repeating: I'm just looking for different views, suggestions, ideas...

I think, this explanation is more than clear...

CS102 Possible Project Ideas

This is from our lecturer's webpage. I know, it is difficult but please give me an idea looking the project ideas in this list. The deadline to decide what we are going to do is coming, and we can't decide anything yet. Thanks in advance.

This is a statement that I saw in that site

Note: You might also consider writing software to support some aspect of your courses. Ask your teachers if there is anything they would like. Having a real customer provides an excellent incentive! Another, more challenging, option would be to add some new functionality to an open source project!

So it would be better if you wanna go out of that list to search for an idea based on this note

If you have an idea which you find interesting, can you tell me that for my project?

I'm quite interested in the space program. you could always write an application that can be used to launch the space shuttle with less risk than is going on now.

read the above: do you see why what I might think is interesting is of no help at all to you? seriously, what your professor is looking for, is initiative from YOU, not from US. and yes, if you haven't figured it out yet... that starts with: choosing a subject.

I'm just getting different ideas from different people. If you don't give an ideas or suggestions, why are you trying to make things different??? I won't do what you would say exactly, as I said many times, I'm just looking for something different. It is that simple. Please don't try to make it some stupid conversation. From the beginning of this thread, I've just asked a simple question: If you have an idea which you find interesting, can you tell me that for my project? It does not mean that, I'll do that. I'm repeating: I'm just looking for different views, suggestions, ideas...

I think, this explanation is more than clear...

I say, start on a project that will be beneficial to you when done... Make it maybe just something simple, a calculator, file search program, media program,Notepad remake, or whatever first do the basics and as you begin to get more involved in the coding of your new app, your code will begin to get more complex and evolved too :). Main point is dont say I want to build Windows 8, say I want to build an OS and let the ideas flow from there and take you in different directions, because many a time people would say i want to make some amazing program like maybe an AntiVirus, not realizing how hard it is... SO start off simple, you and your project will grow together

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.