Member Avatar for sammoto

I'm trying to add the int values of Integer objects within an ArrayList, using a recursion (for the first time). Here's what I have so far:

import java.util.Scanner;
import java.util.ArrayList;

public class SumArrayList {
    private static int calculateSumArrayListHelper(ArrayList<Integer> duplicate) {
        if (duplicate.size() == 0) {
            return 0;
        }
        int lastNum = duplicate.get(duplicate.size()-1).intValue();
        return lastNum + calculateSumArrayListHelper(duplicate.remove(duplicate.size()-1));
    }

public static int calculateSumArrayList(ArrayList<Integer> original) {
        ArrayList<Integer> duplicate = (ArrayList<Integer>) original.clone();
        return calculateSumArrayListHelper(duplicate);
    }

public static void main(String[] args) {
        Scanner reader = new Scanner(System.in);
        ArrayList<Integer> list = new ArrayList<Integer>();
        System.out.println("How many values should the ArrayList contain?");
        int arrayLength = reader.nextInt();
        System.out.println("Enter "+arrayLength+" integers:");
        for (int i = 0; i < arrayLength; i++) {
            Integer j = new Integer(reader.nextInt());
            list.add(j);
        }
        System.out.println("The sum of all the integers in that ArrayList is: "+calculateSumArrayList(list));
    } 
}       

And of course, the compile error:

SumArrayList.java:10: calculateSumArrayListHelper(java.util.ArrayList<java.lang.Integer>) in SumArrayList cannot be applied to (java.lang.Integer)
        return lastNum + calculateSumArrayListHelper(duplicate.remove(duplicate.size()-1));
                         ^
SumArrayList.java:10: operator + cannot be applied to int,calculateSumArrayListHelper
               ^
SumArrayList.java:10: incompatible types
found   : <nulltype>
required: int
                       ^
Note: SumArrayList.java uses unchecked or unsafe operations.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
3 errors

First of all, I don't know why I'm getting the "Notes" because I'm pretty sure I've specified what type of object goes into each ArrayList that I've created. Second, why does the computer think that duplicate.remove(duplicate.size()-1) is an Integer? All I'm doing is removing the last element of the ArrayList, so it should still be an ArrayList, right? It's getting reaaallly hard to remain calm with these programs...

P.S. I know I've posted in this forum a lot lately, so I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has helped me, and thank you in advance to those who will help me!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

All I'm doing is removing the last element of the ArrayList, so it should still be an ArrayList, right?

No, thats wrong !!

remove is a method that returns the element that was removed from the list. Check this and in this case it is Integer !
I beleve you should redesign your method.

Do something like:

//...
int lastNum = duplicate.remove(duplicate.size()-1);
return lastNum + calculateSumArrayListHelper(duplicate);

THANK YOU!!!! You guys spared me a HUGE headache!

I think this may actually help solve another issue I'm having with ArrayLists in another program

i don't think your clone method works, might wanna check that

i don't think your clone method works, might wanna check that

Can you clarify that? ArrayList certainly implements a shallow clone(), so what do you suspect, and why?
Thanks.

i tried compiling it but it gave me a complier error. I'm not sure why
it said unchecked cast from java lang object to java until arraylis<java lang integer>

Yes, clone is defined as returning an Object, so you are stuck with the cast. What version of Java are you using? Eclipse 4.2/Java 1.7 doesn't complain about it.

I'm actually using the newest version of java, which is weird. if its working for you then ill take your word for it :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.