Hi ,
For my major project i have 7 months in hand.
I have decided to make a video chatting application using java (like yahoo messenger or skype)
with features ,

1. Authentication of user name and password before logging in
  2. one to one online video chatting .
  3. Conferrence video chatting.
  4. Option to add friends (added friends visible when online).
  5. Sharing of files or sending and recieving of files.
  6. If possible more features (Please suggest)

Please help how to accomplish above tasks.

I have Not decided whether to use swing gui for desktop (like yahoo messenger) or to use web browser for the application to run on , Please suggest which would be better choise .

Do i need to use Java Media Framework ?
What else i need to study ?

Presently i know java swing , core java (not everything as java is very vast) ,JDBC , JSP , Java Servlets , Struts 2 (basic) .

Please provide a link of book which can help me of available to download free. [I have no money :-( ]

Waiting for the help.
Thanks ..

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

are you sure you want to make a video chat application? sure, it makes a beautiful project, but if I take a quick glance at what you've got experience with, I hope you won't get overwhelmed, then again, 7 months gives you some space to learn new frameworks.

this might give you an idea (haven't checked it all myself, though, so I don't necessarily stand behind the code)
http://1000projects.org/voice-chatting-and-video-conferencing-a-java-project.html

From the above-mentioned link (3rd sentence):

With the aid of this project, two or more persons can shat in an Intranet with one another.

AT. LONG. LAST.

OK, back on topic. After a bit of Googling, I found this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fmj/
Stale as of 2007, but that's whole lot better than JMF.

Try this website. That guy does java programming tutorials and does some on networking and chat app. This might be useful for your project.

By the way, I like the idea you've got.

Thanks buddies for the help ..
But i think i need to study RMI and Java media framework ,
I searched a lot on net to get a book of "java media framework" but i have not got any .
Please give me a link to download java JMF book as i have no money to buy a book.

Any more idea to help me get started is most welcome..
Thanks for the support ..

do realize rmi has it's limitations. a firewall can block it out, for example. study up on jndi as well.

Try this website. That guy does java programming tutorials and does some on networking and chat app. This might be useful for your project.

By the way, I like the idea you've got.

This web site have basic and intermediate java tutorials and topics covered in those tutorials do not inlcude any help such as Remote Method Invocation or Java Media Framework , about online video chatting application..

But thanks for the precious time and help you have given..

After researching online i find out following points ..
Please help to confirm is this the correct steps/way ?

Core of the application (Online Video chat application) is the networking , so i should start working on that first , perhaps creating a simple GUI based chat service.
Next implement file sharing , then encryption and then compression.
I can use "SSL Socket" for encrypting network traffic and "java.util.zip" for compression
and JMF (Java Media Framework) for capture real time media.

do realize rmi has it's limitations. a firewall can block it out, for example. study up on jndi as well.

I dont know much about RMI (I just started learing RMI , it will take me few more days)
As per i know abt JNDI , it is used for connection pooling .
But dont know how excatly connection pooling can be implemented, i tried but failed.

How can i implement connection pooling ? as this will be required with increasing number of users.

Keep supporting me ..

Hi,

I am also looking for the same video chatting application. I am exploring google for this project. Please let me know which technologies we can use to do this project. If i come to know, i will inform you

<irrelevant spam snipped>

Gufran786: the thread is over a year old. the chance of the OP still looking for a solution is pretty slim.

please any one can helpe meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
i want the sourcse code for this project
my project same as this
please help mee

commented: cheating homework kiddo -3

Don't you think that the point of your project is to do it yourself?
Nobody here will help you cheat.

And I have to do the same project within 2 weeks..

commented: idiot zombie -3
commented: Ever see the movie "The Money Pitt"? "Two weeks." -1

Did any one got better solutions ? I am currently working on it! , would be great help if you can share your understandings

The previous posts are pre-JavaFX, which wold be vastly better for video display. A quick Google will give you lots of JavaFX video examples. Capturing the video from a webcam is the hardest part, but once again there are examples and projects on the web to support that. JMF is a dead duck since JavaFX was released.

commented: Seems that folk are digging up old posts. Time for new discussions. +15
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.