While reading a topic in my book on comparison between java and c ++ ... I read one difference .....

java statements can be labeled while c++ statements cant be. Can anybuddy tell the use of labeling in java?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I assume you are refering to labels like this? http://www.janeg.ca/scjp/flow/labels.html

I personally never use labelling in Java and I rarely see it used. To me it feels like a primitive feature that I'd use back with asm compilers. I think it is good programming practice to avoid constructs that resemble GOTO. Code with GOTOs are generally harder to follow.

Most of the time, I use break and continue without labels. I think the only example of code that I can remember in recent memory that could have benefitted from labels for an parameter-search/optimization problem similar to the basic artificial intelligence algorithm A-Star. Oh actually... I wrote some C code to do with cache tiling optimizations in the processor that might have benefitted from labels, but usually these are exceptions to the rule.

Ed

Thanks for all that ... but I needed to know how it works... cuz even if I dont use it in my code ... its not good that I dont learn it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.