Hi, I didn't know where to place this thread :)

Any recommendations for an IDE app to save snippets of code within the program, I looked online, and there are many options, too hard to pick ! :)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Definitely, definitely sublime text 2. But what language are you writing for.

Javascript & soon python.

Just some advice. Forget about javascript and get heavy into jquery.
Combine that with sublime and you got a perfect workflow.

https://github.com/aaronpowell/sublime-jquery-snippets

It will save you so much time...people don't really use javascript these days unless they're mad or trying to create some kind of game or something.

Python, not too sure. I never liked the syntax so never really got that into it. I'm assuming sublime can handle it to.

I'm learning jquery as well, since they sorta relate, the syntax for jquery is a little easier, then again that is the point :)

Some of the programs I use require Python knowledge, I haven't begun learning it, but soon.

I want to save code snippets, as well as preview HTML/CSS, Javascript/jQuery & Python all within one program. There has to be an IDE program.

iamthwee: jQuery is JavaScript, or rather, a library for JavaScript. You cannot hope to understand jQuery if you don't know the underlying JavaScript that it is based on. As for Sublime, I am not familiar with it, but given that one of the demonstrations on the home page uses Python - and the fact that the it is written in Python! - indicates that it should handle it well.

Siberian: While Sublime does appear to quite good, it is also not a free program; if you are willing to buy it, fine. However, there are a wide number of free editors and IDEs available for both languages, starting with the venerable Emacs and going to such choices as SciTE, Komodo Edit, and (for Windows only) NotePad++. There are also many language specific IDEs, such as Eric and DrPython for Python. Being rather old-school, I use Emacs for most purposes, because it is far and away the most flexible and easily extended of them all, but the learning curve is high.

jQuery is JavaScript, or rather, a library for JavaScript. You cannot hope to understand jQuery if you don't know the underlying JavaScript that it is based on

Yeah of course I know that. I still don't think you need to understand javascript to get to grips with the basics of jquery like a lot of devs out there insist. To me they're just jumping on the band wagon.

'What...You know jquery and not javascript? No you can't call yourself a developer, you need to know javascript'

To me this is nonsense and isn't seated in the real world. There are very few reasons needing to understand javascript.

1. Might be a reduction of loading times. In this day and age browsers and even mobile apps can quite happily handle the addition of jquery. In most cases if you use the google link to jquery it will already be cached.

2. Creating a game, or very specific unusal jquery requirements that involve completely customized javascript. Again there are few needs to warrant this type of dev.

Overall, I see a lot of newbies trying to create javascript function when a simple jquery alternative exists... mainly it is simple DOM manipulation of which jquery is King.

Yeah with python, I'm not too sure as I've never used sublime with it, but along with all the other snippets available on git I'm sure you can quickly integrate it into your workflow.

And technically sublime is kinda free. All it does it have a popup every week to ask if you wish to buy it. All you do is click no and you can carry on using it... all bells and whistles unrestricted. I guess you've never used sublime to know this.

As to whether this is ethically OK it's up to the programmer. There's no reason to say in the future sublime CEO might change this so I guess that might be an issue if you intend to use it for mainstream dev.

Every webdeveloper I know use and swear by sublime. Once you get on it you'll forget whatever IDE you used to use before. With the except of EMACs it offer the fastest and most complete features that I know of.

...And even for 70 dollars or whatever is says on the website, it is well worth it.

ta

home page uses Python - and the fact that the it is written in Python!

That is not necessarily a valid point. An IDE can be written in a certain language but lack the correct aids to make dev suitable in the Language it was written in.

Although, that being said it looks like it can handle python nicely.

Again, it is dependent on the available snippets rather than being a feature which ships with the IDE.

Thank you for your replies. I'll give subline text another try.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.