Hi all,

I have a image viewing/sharing site that gets over 500k monthly mobile visitors. I was wondering if it would be worth it to develop a mobile app for my site using PhoneGap.

I currently have two ad units, a regular mobile adsense banner and a 300x250 dekstop adsense unit. I added the dekstop adsense unit because I found the mobile banner earnings to be really poor.

So my question is, if I develop an app and run admob ads throughout the app at the bottom of the screen, will the earnings be comparable to the mobile site running adsense? Considering I have the same amount of pageloads/visitors.

Please share your thoughts! Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for NotoriousZeus

Short answer : Yes.

If you look at the recent trend around mobile app development a lot of revenue is generated around ad's. Even the most recent game apps like Flappy Bird was said to generate around $50,000 a day from in-app advertisements.

You can even look at the Market Research to know about the specifics about the ad's being targeted and the turnover.

So, yes if you develop an app and run whatever ad-service, I think you would be able to get similar or more gains, if not less, from the visits.

So, yes if you develop an app and run whatever ad-service, I think you would be able to get similar or more gains, if not less, from the visits.

You forgetting app popularity and daily usage. If there are only few downloads and very few active users you not gone become Bill Gates any time soon. Secondly there are different ads companies so you better research who is offering what and how much you get before signing up with them

You are looking at $2-$5 average per 1000 ads served for interstitials (based on my own experience with Flurry App Spot, Revmob, Chartboost and Inner-active), maybe more for video ads. I'm also seeingan almost double eCPM on iOS compared to Android. Banner eCPM is usually much lower ($1 or less). The main thing will be your web sites audience, for example if you sell fridges then you will probably not earn much from mobile ads, but on the other hand, if your web site is game related then you should see good revenue.

Well, inshort I would say yes you can earn good profit from the in-app ads as I can see you are having a good based of users over your site. So, yes you can do that !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.