I am new to the perl language and had just started reading the book "Perl5 by example" by David Meddinets.However in the very first chapter he says that you need to try out the programs on a perl interpreter.I have w98 and have downloaded the asi version of 5.8.7 from activestate.com and extracted using winzip.I also get the reply at command prompt after typing perl -v.I have made the addition of .pl in openwith command.I get the perl icon when i designate a script as ".pl".But When i try to run the perl script using c:\activeperl\perl\bin\perl.exe myfile.pl (which contains the basic print command),i get an error as " open the perl script:myfile.pl:no such file or directory".Also i cannot run cmd on run of w98.Why is that so?Please help me out.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I am new to the perl language and had just started reading the book "Perl5 by example" by David Meddinets.However in the very first chapter he says that you need to try out the programs on a perl interpreter.I have w98 and have downloaded the asi version of 5.8.7 from activestate.com and extracted using winzip.I also get the reply at command prompt after typing perl -v.I have made the addition of .pl in openwith command.I get the perl icon when i designate a script as ".pl".But When i try to run the perl script using c:\activeperl\perl\bin\perl.exe myfile.pl (which contains the basic print command),i get an error as " open the perl script:myfile.pl:no such file or directory".Also i cannot run cmd on run of w98.Why is that so?Please help me out.

Hi,
Its Rajashekhar Managoli.
you just type perl and filemane.pl if this file in curent dir if not full path of that it will excute.

Njoy
Raj

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.