Hi all, this forum seems to have sparse traffic, so if you stumble upon this thread I want to request that you please give your opinion on the following question.

I am currently a rails developer and I was looking to add another language to my CV, I just wanted your take on perl. Do you think Perl would be the way to go, or do you think if you had to do it all over again you would go in a different direction. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello. I started learning Perl some time in 2006 and found it very suitable for the development of a web based application. I was impressed by the way you can get so much done in just a few lines of code. To be fair, I haven't done much work with other high level "scripting" languages (Python, Ruby etc.), so I don't have much to compare with. I would still suggest you do spend some time learning Perl and see what you think though.

I want to thank you two for taking the time to respond. I managed to get the "Programming Perl" book on ebay for 14 dollars including shipping, so I will look through it and give it a go.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.