Hello,
I have new to programming in python(have a little experience in C++) and to this forum. I am trying to write a program that finds Nth prime number; for example the 1000th prime number. Whenever, I try to run the program I just a see a blinking cursor and the program stalls. Here is my code:

prime_status = 1 
## Changes to indicate if number being tested is prime; 0 = false 1 = true

n = 998 
## Nth prime number(used as counter for while loop); N = N -2 because dont account 0 and 3; therefore current status of Nth is 1000

number = 3 
## Number being tested just being intialized; will be changed in loop

max_div = 0 
## Maximum divisor just being intialized here, will later be given value

div = 2 
## Current Divisor; Loop divided by this until div = max_div

while n > 0:   
	##Nth prime number;every time prime number is found the code will below  will decrease n. When it hits 0; prime number that ##corresponds
	## to n will have been found and this loop will BREAK

number + 1 
	## Everytime loop starts the number will increase by 1 to test all numbers.

max_dev = number / 2 
	## Found by number / 2 because for any WHOLE number x; if WHOLE  number y = x / 2 ; x / (any number > y) will always have         ## remainder indicating not prime.

##All these variables are to be given INTEGER status..because float(decimal) operation will return not prime...	
	##For example 11 / 2 = 5((WHOLE NUMBER))....  and 11 / (5 + 1)...11 /( 5 + ##2) ...etc etc  will always have a remainder..
	##So it is useless to test numbers bigger than half a number..because it is    known that it will not have a remainder and will test not ##prime 

div = 2
	 ## Starting divisor...dont use 1 because obviously all numbers are 
## divisible by 1

prime_status =  1 
	##Intially set as true

while div < max_div : 
		##This loop is broken if number being tested is found prime; or when  all divisors have been tested and it is found prime
if number % div == 0 & div != number: 
		## If remainder is 0, then number is prime then enter code below; div != number is inserted for the following reason 			
		## all numbers are divisible by themselves..so ignore this code if 
## number being divided is equal to number. 
			div = max_div  
				##required to break loop
			prime_status = 0
				 ## Sets the prime status as false; to eliminate the later execution of code
		elif number % div != 0: 
				 ##If the divisor gives a remainder of other than 0(so far prime); add 1 to test next divisor 
			div = div + 1 
				##Increase divisor and start loop again checking again for remainders.
		##After the loop ends above number is found prime or not prime		

if prime_status == 1:
		n - 1
		##Now if number is prime decrease n by 1; to account for master loop; 
		## Ex: If trying to find 1000th prime number is tested; Once first prime after 3..5 is detected..decrease n by 1 
		##and everything starts over...testing next number until next prime is detected..and on and on until Nth number is found
		##Once everything is done Nth prime number has been found
		## go back to master loop

print "1000th Prime #: " + number

I am still trying to learn good coding "grammar", hence the heavy commenting. So, if you can, please also let me know if its too much or what I can improve.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Generally, you use an increasing counter, increasing every time a prime number is found, until it reaches n. For how to find primes, there are literally thousands of posts on the web. http://www.daniweb.com/code/snippet216880.html

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.