1.11M Members

ActivePython 2.7 COM Server Manifest

This is my first post and my first experience with Python. My environment is Windows XP/Win7. I have installed ActivePython 2.7, extensions and other packages and run many test scripts. I was especially interested that a .py file could include code to self-register as a COM object, and according to docs could be accessible with CreateObject() in scripting languages that support COM.

I ran and self-registered a basic Hello World script. But trying to access it with CreateObject() in VBA or other scripting code I get the error that the C libraries could not load which I tracked down to the issue that Python binaries are compiled in Visual Studio 2008 and require the VC90.CRT manifest in the calling app.

Probably I read the docs wrong, but how do I get around this issue as I am not calling the Python COM object with an exe that has the manifest embedded.

BTW: If I include the Python code in a .wsc file I can use GetObject().

This is a transitional step as I would be moving from current apps scripted in other languages to running 100% from Python (if possible).

TIA. appreciate any response and directions.

I guess this can be marked solved. I figured it out.

Question Self-Answered as of 3 Years Ago

Oh, as for the solution. After installing ActivePython I installed a vc80.crt package the and ran a script that included

import msvcp

This set of C++ runtimes requires the manifest. After uninstalling and removing that line everything worked fine with the runtimes included with ActivePython. Just getting my feet wet.

You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article