Platform and Python installation info:

Platforms: Windows, OS X
Python: Active State Python 2.7
wxPython: Version 2.9

Here is a sample code in which I use a wxMessageBox:

import wx,os

class Frame(wx.Frame):
    def __init__(self, parent, id, title):
        wx.Frame.__init__(self, parent, id, title, size=(100, 100),style=wx.MINIMIZE_BOX | wx.SYSTEM_MENU | wx.CAPTION | wx.CLOSE_BOX | wx.CLIP_CHILDREN)

host=os.system('hostname')
        if host!='superman':            
            self.dialogBox=wx.MessageBox('The host name should be superman. Closing this dialog box in 2s...','Info')            
            self.Destroy()
        else:
            self.Center()
            self.Show()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    app = wx.App(redirect=False)
    frame = Frame(None, -1, 'Sample')
    app.MainLoop()

According to the above piece of code, If the host name is not 'superman' , then the user is displayed a message box and prompted to press 'OK'. If the user presses 'OK' button on the message box, then the control moves to the next line in the code (i.e., line number 10) where the frame is destroyed. I want to be to able to automatically close the dialog box and go to the next line in the code i.e., self.Destroy() if the user does not press the 'OK' button in the next 2 seconds. Any thoughts on how do I do that in wxpython ?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

wx has a CallAfter method. It will require some implementation of multiprocessing/threads however you do it since you want to do two things at once: 1) wait for a button press, 2) keep track of the time that has passed. This programs waits for 5 seconds, simulating waiting for a button press, and after 5 seconds exits.

import time
from multiprocessing import Process

class TestClass():

def test_f(self, name):
      ctr = 0
      while True:
         ctr += 1
         print ctr, name
         time.sleep(0.5)

if __name__ == '__main__':
   CT=TestClass()
   p = Process(target=CT.test_f, args=('Simulation of MessageBox',))
   p.start()

## sleep for 5 seconds and terminate
   time.sleep(5.0)
   p.terminate()
   p.join()

print "\n\ndestroy here"
commented: nice example +15

The only wxPython widget that has a build-in timeout is wx.SplashScreen(). Your message however has be inside an image file. This can easily be done with a small wxPython program or any of the many image editors.

Take a look at:
http://www.daniweb.com/software-development/python/threads/128350/1560030#post1560030

Any of the dialog boxes rely on a button to be activated.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.