I am about to begin working on a program serving simultanuously a handfull of non-technical clients.

I am still trying to select my user interface, and would like your suggestions, given that my main program would be written mainly in Python.

I would suppose that most of the actions requested of me will be carried out sequentially (Meaning that if user A asked to perform some task X, which took 10 minutes, user B will not be able to perform a new task Y until X would have ended.

Two of the main options I thought of would have been:
1. Some local graphical application communicating with some remote server, performing all the actual computations.

2. Some web interface, possibly written in DJango (Which, as I understand, may be used very easily to provide interfaces for pythonian programs), performing much the same functionality as the aforementioned application, only that the graphical part may be (?) easier to design.

Assuming that I have no experience with creating neither GUI, nor web sites (Neither using python, nor otherwise), and that I would probably rather invest little to no time in graphical design whatsovever, which one would you suggest being the better alternative?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Just my own perspective:

HTML was much easier for me to learn than any particular graphic package.

Django is quite approachable for small projects (and this one looks "small" from the perspective of the UI)

+1 for HTML. People are familiar with web browsers and you can generate the code via Python if you want.

Meaning that if user A asked to perform some task X, which took 10 minutes, user B will not be able to perform a new task Y until X would have ended.

That is usually done via a lock file, which each process checks before it begins.

commented: You taught me something. +13
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.