1,105,286 Community Members

Renaming .exe extensions to random numbers avoids viral infection ??!!!??

Member Avatar
vidur
Newbie Poster
3 posts since Jun 2011
Reputation Points: 13 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

a software written in python to change the extension of all existing exe files on a system to a randomly generated integer would prevent a conventional virus as knowing the file is an executable and hence from infecting it. i know there are easy ways of getting around this. so this method cant be widespread. but would it work on 1 machine ?

one could write a program to run these exe files with integer extensions quite simply

Member Avatar
pseudorandom21
Practically a Posting Shark
888 posts since Jan 2011
Reputation Points: 166 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 115 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

a software written in python to change the extension of all existing exe files on a system to a randomly generated integer would prevent a conventional virus as knowing the file is an executable and hence from infecting it. i know there are easy ways of getting around this. so this method cant be widespread. but would it work on 1 machine ?

one could write a program to run these exe files with integer extensions quite simply

Or determine it's executable from it's content, .exe files have a special header on Windows systems don't they? I'm unsure, sorry. It depends on the virus, I would say.

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: