Hello ALL,

I was wondering if there is a way to run a python program at windows startup, without running the script as a windows service?

I have a python program which runs a bunch of functions & then sometimes restarts the computer. At startup I want my script to run automatically till all the functions are executed.

Is there an easy way to implement this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If .py files are assigned to be opened by python on your system, then you only need to put a shortcut into your startup folder.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

More andvance solutions is.
- add it to the windows registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)
- package it into a service, that should then be installed

If .py files are assigned to be opened by python on your system, then you only need to put a shortcut into your startup folder.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

More andvance solutions is.
- add it to the windows registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)
- package it into a service, that should then be installed

Hi Snippsat,

Thank you for your response. I am using win 7, & I tried adding an entry to "HKLM/SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" with my python script, but i keep getting Error 5. Access is denied. I verified i have adequate permissions, & I am manually able to change the key. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks & Regards

Hi Snippsat,

Thank you for your response. I am using win 7, & I tried adding an entry to "HKLM/SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" with my python script, but i keep getting Error 5. Access is denied. I verified i have adequate permissions, & I am manually able to change the key. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks & Regards

Hey it worked i just had to right click & run my script as administrator.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.