I installed the new pillow 2.0 on windows 7 python 3.3 using one of the installers with no problems. Apparently that installer provides the jpeg support necessary for Vegaseat's program (link below).

However, I am having some kind of trouble getting the jpeg support to work on Ubuntu. After my installation, I have run the python3.3 selftest.py and it does indicate that JPEG support is OK. So, maybe I have muddled the install somehow that python 3.3 is not finding it.

So, I have this dilema:

"--- JPEG support ok"   from selftest.py program

and

"builtins.OSError: decoder jpeg not available" when I run the program

python3.3 gives me the exception in the PIL program image.py _getdecoder where it reports the jpeg decoder is not available.

Any ideas what I can look at to understand this ?

http://www.daniweb.com/software-development/python/code/449036/display-an-image-from-the-web-tkinter

Thank you

-----

My complete runtime error msg:

builtins.OSError: decoder jpeg not available
File "/home/rich/Dropbox/py/decrypt/test.py", line 59, in <module>
pil_image_resized = resize(w, h, w_box, h_box, pil_image)
File "/home/rich/Dropbox/py/decrypt/test.py", line 32, in resize
return pil_image.resize((width, height), Image.ANTIALIAS)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/dist-packages/Pillow-2.0.0-py3.3-linux-i686.egg/PIL/Image.py", line 1318, in resize
self.load()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/dist-packages/Pillow-2.0.0-py3.3-linux-i686.egg/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 192, in load
d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/dist-packages/Pillow-2.0.0-py3.3-linux-i686.egg/PIL/Image.py", line 381, in _getdecoder
raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Looks like venerable PIL has most of its bugs worked out, the newer Pillow does not.

Since my post I have gotten this working if I run the program in python3.3 in my Pillow 2.0.0 install from directory, so it does work. So I probably have a directory path mistake or some library installed in an unexpected directory.

I will figure that out when I get some time. I'm satisfied that this is my iinstallation error.

I think the old PIL fell out of support and this new PIL (Pillow) is probably well worthwhile to try. Its great to have libraries that work with the current python interpreter.

Thanks for the info, I have to look into Pillow replacing PIL for Python33.

In my particular case I probably have a messed up path or somehow installed libjpeg to the wrong location.

Moving the import PIL to after the last of the other imports and inserting the installation directory into the path finds what it needs:

# This code runs from anywhere, but it indicates 
# that there is an installation problem of my Library
import sys
sys.path.insert( 0, "/home/rich/Python_Installs/Pillow-2.0.0")
from PIL import Image, ImageTk

I have some housekeeping to do on my system.

I don't have a Linux machine handy, but Pillow should be installed in
../Python33/Lib/site-packages/PIL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.