Member Avatar for A-M-G

I asked this question on StackOverflow and they just linked me to other questions that I already read and tried.

I have been trying to create a zip file using zipfile in Python, but it keeps zipping all folders that are included in the absolute path. I just want to zip the file that the path leads to, not all of the files in that path.

If I try to create a zip file named "Zip_Files.zip" from this path:

C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Folder_to_be_zipped\

When I try to zip this I end up with a zip folder like this:

Zip_Files -> Users -> UserName -> Documents -> Folder_to_be_zipped -> {contents of Folder_to_be_zipped}

I want something like this:

Zip_Files.zip -> Folder_to_be_zipped -> {contents of Folder_to_be_zipped}

I only want to zip Folder_to_be_zipped, not every file leading to that folder.

This code gives me the Zip_Files.zip -> Folder_to_be_zipped but there's nothing inside of Folder_to_be_zipped and I know that's because zipfile isn't recursive.

from os.path import basename
zip.write(first_path, basename(first_path))
zip.write(second_path, basename(second_path))
zip.close()

This code gives me Zip_Files.zip -> Users -> UserName -> Documents -> Folder_to_be_zipped -> {contents of Folder_to_be_zipped}

import os
import zipfile

def zipdir(path, zip):
    for root, dirs, files in os.walk(path):
        for file in files:
            zip.write(os.path.join(root, file))

if __name__ == '__main__':
    zipf = zipfile.ZipFile('Python.zip', 'w')
    zipdir('C:/Users/UserName/Documents/Folder_to_be_zipped/', zipf)
    zipf.close()

So I know that my solution is somewhere in the middle of these two pieces of code, but I am relatively new to Python and I can't figure it out. Hopefully you guys can give me the code to make this work.

Did you try

oldwd = os.getcwd()
    os.chdir('C:/Users/UserName/Documents')
    try:
        zipdir('Folder_to_be_zipped', zipf)
    finally:
        os.chdir(oldwd)

?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.