Hello,
I had an idea for a script and I was going to get everyone's opinion if shell scripting was actually the appropriate medium to try and get this task accomplished. I want to check and see if a message board thread has been updated or not and then if it has it can send me a text message. I have the text message part worked out but i'm not sure what the best method to test if the thread has been updated or not. Would I simply pull text from the board and check if the updated time stamp is different than last time. This would routinely check based on a timer I guess. So I just wanted to get some feedback from everyone and see if anyone could recommend the best way to go about accomplishing this. Thank you for your time.--Robert

That would work, as would pulling a significant chunk (1000?) bytes from the board and comparing its hash with the last hash.

I'd do it in Python because I'm a Python kinda guy, but wget or cUrl would work well from the shell.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.