me and my team working on a project called Stealth Hunter,

Summarize about our project:
Stealth Hunter is a thief catcher, It will silently take a snapshot of user using a stolen notebook or pc with webcam and send the information via email.

how it work is:
The scripts will triggered by the owner itself. he or she might go to another pc, compose new email and send email to integrated email which is configured in the stealth hunter script earlier (in stolen laptop) with "STOLEN" subject email. but nothing happened. it suppose trigger the scripts, once it triggered, it automatically capture the webcam (stolen laptop) together with their ip too. but, nothing happened. maybe something wrong with it.

so, the problem is, the scripts wont trigger it. Maybe something wrong with the script? hope someone can take a look on it. Thanks.

Here's our full Stealth Hunter Scripts - http://www.mediafire.com/?nfvv748g5...

and this is where the main line/code (also included on link above).

# ! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          Stealth Hunter
# Required-Start:    $local_fs $network
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Stealth Hunter catcher
# Description:       Stealth Hunter is a thief catcher
#                    It will silently take a snapshot of user using a stolen notebook
#           or pc with webcam and send back an email.
### END INIT INFO

# Author: shunter

CONFIGURE="No"

# Reads config file
[ -r /etc/default/shunter ] && . /etc/default/shunter

if [ $CONFIGURED != "Yes" ]; then
   echo "/etc/default/shunter not configured yet!"
   echo "Exiting ..."
   exit 0
fi

PASSWORD=$(encrypt-decrypt decode $PASS | awk '$0!~/^$/ {print $0}')

do_start()
{
ping -c 2 google.com > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
   #echo "Checking alert mail ..."
   check_mail=$(wget -T 3 -t 1 -q --secure-protocol=TLSv1 --no-check-certificate  --user=$USER --password=$PASSWORD https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom -O - |grep "$ALERT")
   if [ $? -eq 0 ];
   then
      #echo "Alert mail found, this notebook/pc might been stolen!!"
      #echo "Retrieving ip adress ..."
      IP=$(wget -q -O - http://whatismyip.org |tail) && wait $!
      DATE=`date`
      #echo "Taking snapshot ..."
      mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=320:height=240:outfmt=uyvy:device=/dev/video0 -frames 3 -vo jpeg:outdir=/tmp >/dev/null 2>&1 && wait $!
      #echo -n "Sending mail ..."
      sendEmail -f shunter@google.com -t $USER -s $MAIL_SERV:$PORT -xu $USER -xp $PASSWORD -u $TITLE -m "$MESSAGE\nIP : $IP  DATE: $DATE\n" -a $ATTACHMENT >/dev/null
      #echo "Done."
      exit
   else
      #echo "No alert message found ..exiting."
      exit
   fi
else
   #echo "Not online ..."
   exit
fi
}

case "$1" in
  start)
   do_start
   ;;

stop)
   echo "This option is not supported."
   ;;

restart)
   echo "This option is not supported"
   ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$0 {start|stop|restart}"
        exit 1
        ;;

esac

exit 0

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Well, I'd be sorry to be the person monitoring that email address as that would simply send an email with every start up. What I do see about it though is you define CONFIGURE and check CONFIGURED

i integrated this laptop with WWAN PCi slot together with my wireless broadband (SIM).

so it will automatically connected the internet once it is on. the script supposed to capture the image of the thief and together with the IP address once the owner send an email with SUBJECT STOLEN to shunter@gmail.com, which is integrated configured with the program inside that stolen laptop.

thanks for ur reply anyway. hope hear any cents from u soon. =)

p/s: i configure/install this program OS backtrack r2.

Edit Again: Nevermind, just noticed the call to wget. Chances are anyone who "steals" it is most likely to install the thing before using it "openly" especially when it is already an *nix system which makes installing a "valid" and "legal" version cheap and easy.

Edit: And did you pay attention to the other tidbit in the previous post. Otherwise, it would probably help to know your definition of "trigger".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.