I was trying to run a shell script and run it through Cygwin terminal in XP environment.
The script I have written is as follows -

#!/bin/bash
read -p "Enter Your name - " fname
if test "$fname" == "abcd"
    then
            echo "Thank you abcd"
fi

When I am trying to run it, after taking the input it gives an error -
': not a valid identifier: read: `fname
Though the commands are working fine when I am trying them in terminal.
Any suggession plz.
Thanks in advance...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Try dos2unix on your script.. looks like there are ^M chars.. you must've edited the script using some Windows' app instead of `vi` or some unix app..

Not that you can't use Windows app.. just be careful in setting up the preferences in the editor to ensure it saves in correct format..

Thanks. I have solved problem already...

Try dos2unix on your script.. looks like there are ^M chars.. you must've edited the script using some Windows' app instead of `vi` or some unix app..

Not that you can't use Windows app.. just be careful in setting up the preferences in the editor to ensure it saves in correct format..

I wonder what the solution was? :)
I haven't used cygwin in a while. I'm curious to know what the problem was!

It is a special character related problem. I used notepad++ editor to write the script initially, which adds some special character not supported by linux. You can either use dos2unix to convert it into linux format or just use cat > filename to create the file. Then you can edit the file in windows based editor as well.

I wonder what the solution was? :)
I haven't used cygwin in a while. I'm curious to know what the problem was!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.