Hello,

I am taking my second Java course this semester CSC-251 (advanced Java). I took introduction to computer programming last summer. With three programming courses under my belt will I be able to find a job out there in the real world?

For a little background information about myself. I am a 52 year old electrical contractor and has experienced a shrinkage of business in the last 4 - years. Ideally, I would like to find computer programming work that will allow me to incorporate my knowledge of the electrical industry with the programming industry.

Right now I would like to find a job as a programmer and keep taking programming courses.
Do you have any recommendations on courses that I should take? Do you recommend that I take the Java Certification exam after I finish my advanced Java course? My school offers Enterprise Java, should I take it?
Do you believe that I can find a programming job right now?

Thanks for the input and have a great new year ! ! !

Jim

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

With three programming courses under my belt will I be able to find a job out there in the real world?

Getting a programming job has less to do with how much you know about programming and more to do with selling yourself. So while I'd say that right now, from the given information, I wouldn't hire you, it doesn't mean you can't find a job.

Do you have any recommendations on courses that I should take?

Apparently you want to be a Java developer, so take any courses you can.

Do you recommend that I take the Java Certification exam after I finish my advanced Java course?

Yes.

My school offers Enterprise Java, should I take it?

Probably, yes.

Do you believe that I can find a programming job right now?

I think you'll find it extremely difficult. Consider joining some open source projects to build experience. You can also use your existing business contacts to get an edge on folks who are just sending in resumes or walking in the door without knowing someone in the company.

Thank you for this sage advice deceptikon.
PS. I like your Avatar. Are you a student of Aristotle? Mankind might have taken a different path if not for him. His wisdom has gotten us out of the dark and the middle ages.

PS. I like your Avatar.

Thanks. I like the paradox of Derpy and logic.

Are you a student of Aristotle?

Not directly, he died shortly before I could ask for any classes. ;) If you want to be technical about it, anyone who's had any exposure to western philosophy at all is a student of Aristotle as he's one of the founders of that school of thought.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.