Hello, I've got an assignment where I'm told to create a chat room application. I have already created the application using Java. But I am also asked to research at least three different technologies to implement chat room application, but I only know one... that is using Java Sockets.
Is there any other technology? if there is, what is the easiest to implement a chat room application (and the server)?

Actually I still don't understand the word "Technology", whether that means the programming language used to implement the application or some frameworks or other things. Note that I'm still a beginner in programming :(.

I'm sorry if this question is too basic and stupid but I really have no idea. If anybody could help me then I will be really grateful. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello, I've got an assignment where I'm told to create a chat room application. I have already created the application using Java. But I am also asked to research at least three different technologies to implement chat room application, but I only know one... that is using Java Sockets.
Is there any other technology? if there is, what is the easiest to implement a chat room application (and the server)?

Actually I still don't understand the word "Technology", whether that means the programming language used to implement the application or some frameworks or other things. Note that I'm still a beginner in programming :(.

I'm sorry if this question is too basic and stupid but I really have no idea. If anybody could help me then I will be really grateful. Thank you.

The word "technology" can be used many different ways. I tend to use it when referring to protocols or broader topics. But many will, and not incorrectly, use it as a more encompassing term. In such a situation, languages themselves may be considered seperate technologies. You're best bet is to ask the proctor for the exam to define technology.

A couple other "technologies" that might be used: Web Sockets and Ajax (on an interval).

Hello Bob, I study in a terrible college in Indonesia, they are collaborating with other college abroad, and these assignment came from them, but my local lecturer is clueless and doesn't know what he's teaching. that's why I'm asking it here, because I believe people in this website has more knowledge than my lecturer, hahaha.

But I do think what they mean by technology is same as yours. I'll research more on web sockets and ajax as you suggested! But is there any advantages or disadvantages of using one over another?

Hello Bob, I study in a terrible college in Indonesia, they are collaborating with other college abroad, and these assignment came from them, but my local lecturer is clueless and doesn't know what he's teaching. that's why I'm asking it here, because I believe people in this website has more knowledge than my lecturer, hahaha.

But I do think what they mean by technology is same as yours. I'll research more on web sockets and ajax as you suggested! But is there any advantages or disadvantages of using one over another?

Both have their place. In a chat application, however, I would say Web Sockets hold an advantage over Ajax.

It's a true TCP connection, supporting communication in both directions (full-duplex, as you'll probably see it called). It's a persistant tunnel, where data is pushed from client-to-server and server-to-client.

Ajax, on the other hand, is a way of making asyncronous HTTP requests. It's not a persistant mode of communication. Each new request, to pull updates, is a new session with the server.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.