hi everybody , this is my first post here and my only hope !!!
i have to build a website for my vb.net/sql server classes final project , it s a real estate website that has a sql server 2005 database and i have to connect throuhg it with vb.net 2005 .
the web site has several pages :
1-one browsing page to show all the properties in the database ( show the properties information ,photos , price and ... in seperated (or one) table)
2-seperated page for search through the database by some drop down menu and show the results in the same page by pressing search button .
3-a login page for users to login with their user name and password and edit their (or enter a new) property with a form.
i have to build an sql database and a table to enter the datas in sql server 2005 and have to use only vb.net scripts to do above things ,... :(
long story short i transfered from another place and didn t study vb.net and sql server ( instead we studied JS and wanted to start mysql ) and now i HAVE to finish this project if i wanna stay here , i have 4 days to complete this project , and i just have a basic knowledge bout sql server ( just know how to create a database table in there ! ) but have NO idea bout the vb.net .
i ll be so gratefull if u guys can help me ,
i started to build the pages in ms expression web , and it should be ready in a few hours .......

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Good, but where is your questions? Just begin and if you faced any problem drop a question after your approaches to solve it.

hi everybody , this is my first post here and my only hope !!!
i have to build a website for my vb.net/sql server classes final project , it s a real estate website that has a sql server 2005 database and i have to connect throuhg it with vb.net 2005 .
the web site has several pages :
1-one browsing page to show all the properties in the database ( show the properties information ,photos , price and ... in seperated (or one) table)
2-seperated page for search through the database by some drop down menu and show the results in the same page by pressing search button .
3-a login page for users to login with their user name and password and edit their (or enter a new) property with a form.
i have to build an sql database and a table to enter the datas in sql server 2005 and have to use only vb.net scripts to do above things ,... :(
long story short i transfered from another place and didn t study vb.net and sql server ( instead we studied JS and wanted to start mysql ) and now i HAVE to finish this project if i wanna stay here , i have 4 days to complete this project , and i just have a basic knowledge bout sql server ( just know how to create a database table in there ! ) but have NO idea bout the vb.net .
i ll be so gratefull if u guys can help me ,
i started to build the pages in ms expression web , and it should be ready in a few hours .......

You may not find free vb.net host , what is the deadline for your assignment ?

hi , thnx guys for replies , the deadline is sat 7 march .
and my problem is i donno how to use vb.net to connect , search , show the results and edit the sql server database :( ...
the website is almost ready ( except for these pages of course )
and i m goin to buy some vb.net books tonight , hope i can finish it before the deadline with the help of u guys ...

thnx lemme check ...

i had some progress , now i can show database table records in a page , the problem is how can i change the view of it , i don wanna show it in a row it will become too long , instead i wanna show a row datas in somethin like this :
id :
fname :
lname :
email :
pics :

one thing else : how can i put a link for every row ? ( for example a " more detail " link that when user click , it goes to the property detailed page ! :( )
and i still have no idea bout how to search in DB and show filtered results :(

1- Use paging
2- You'll use QueryString which holds row ID, in this page load handler you will fill DataList\GridView\... with data by this ID (Googlize it)

hi all , thnx for replies ,
i used a datagrid view to show the database table in a page , and here s the cod :

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" BackColor="White" BorderColor="#999999" BorderStyle="Solid" BorderWidth="1px" CellPadding="3" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" ForeColor="Black" GridLines="Vertical">
            <FooterStyle BackColor="#CCCCCC" />
            <Columns>
                <asp:BoundField DataField="Category" HeaderText="Category" SortExpression="Category" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="Price" HeaderText="Price" SortExpression="Price" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="Area" HeaderText="Area" SortExpression="Area" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="Bedroom" HeaderText="Bedroom" SortExpression="Bedroom" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="Bathroom" HeaderText="Bathroom" SortExpression="Bathroom" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="Parking" HeaderText="Parking" SortExpression="Parking" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="Age" HeaderText="Age" SortExpression="Age" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="Floor" HeaderText="Floor" SortExpression="Floor" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="Height" HeaderText="Height" SortExpression="Height" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="Features" HeaderText="Features" SortExpression="Features" />
            </Columns>
            <PagerStyle BackColor="#999999" ForeColor="Black" HorizontalAlign="Center" />
            <SelectedRowStyle BackColor="#000099" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="White" />
            <HeaderStyle BackColor="Black" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="White" />
            <AlternatingRowStyle BackColor="#CCCCCC" />
        </asp:GridView>
        <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:pdataConnectionString3 %>"
            SelectCommand="SELECT [Category], [Price], [Area], [Bedroom], [Bathroom], [Parking], [Age], [Floor], [Height], [Features] FROM [hdata] ORDER BY [h_id]">
        </asp:SqlDataSource>

now i wanna add another text type column for each record that contain an url address , and wanna show it in a grid view as a link , i mean i want it to appear as a link in the data grid view ...
i ll be SSOOOOO gratefull if anybody tell me the code :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.