Member Avatar for Peric

I don't have any experiance in this part so I really need someone's help to get start.

I have setup for my application in VB.NET...what i need to do (want to do) is next...
-create/restore a database that I use for that application (I have database in MSSQL). Maybe I will also need to check...if MSSQL server exist, don't install it, if it doesn't...install it?
-if .net framework 3.5 and .net framework 3.5 sp1 doesn't exist on system, install it...
-if crystal reports (CRRedist2008_x86.msi) doesn't exist on the system, install it...

Hope that you all understand what do I need and I hope that someone could help me in this. thank you...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for Peric

Ok... standard setup is checking if .net framework is installed on the system, if isn't it will take you to link where you can download it.

After I've tried a lot of things to include Crystal Reports 2008 to setup i've finally did it this way:
-i've converted CRRedist2008_x86.msi to CRRedist2008_x86.exe with "EgeUE MSI to EXE converter"
-after that, i've included CRRedist2008_x86.exe to custom actions > Install

Okay...what I need to do is next...I know how to create shortcuts on desktop and program files but i want to make an option with checkboxes...so you can select if you want those two shortcuts or if you don't.
I've tried this with checkboxes, i've set checkboxes properties and changed "User's desktop" and "User's Start Menu" conditions. "CHECKBOXA1" for desktop shortcut, "CHECKBOXA2" for start menu shortcut...but it doesn't work... I get both icons every time.
Does anyone know solution for this?

how to write a set-up program in vb.net plz... help me incuding database and crystal reporting

Member Avatar for Peric

I've made my setup somehow but still...that's not what i want, so i'm still looking for help if anyone could help me. I've said some things already and here's few more things:
-it would be great if i can include all programs in single setup...so that sql server etc. can be configured in "background"
-also, i would like somehow to give the sql server default parameters for default instance, server configuration etc so that user don't have to do that stuff
-it would be great if my setup can find out if sql server exists already, if crystal reports exist, etc...so if it doesn't exist, that part don't need to be installed again. Also, it would be great if setup can configure is it 32bit or 64bit system.

I've made something similar with batch scripting but it's far away from this...does anyone have experience with this? any good ideas? thanks..

Member Avatar for Peric

thanks for that...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.