Hi,

I've a windows application with VB.Net. I made a little application that connect on a ms access database and do some stuff.
The application works well in my PC and in other remote PC, but If I made a concurrent open to the database, I got an error.
I see that in mdb directory I got a ldb file when someone open a connection. How can I remove the exclusive connection to the database ?

Thank you !

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Well that is possible if you have a missing part to your code....

In your code for the VB.Net application do you have connection open still? Remember the prinicples of .NET. You make calls to the DB, via opening a connection, retrieving your datasnapshot, then close the connection once the data is retrieved. It is my guess that you have forgotten to close the connection to the DB at somepoint in your application.

Yes, the problem is that one client got a connection keep alive, but I made it for simulate some problems like slow communication (or something else...), it's normal if I don't close the connection other client can't open mdb file for update ?

Well, first off, that is going against the concept of .NET environment, and system resources, but this is your choice and not uncommon to do something like this. I would have to ask the purpose of maintaining the connection?

Saying that, as long as the second, third, etc connections to the DB are not trying to access the same data/table(s) as the first connection they should be able to update. i.e. Mutliple users can connection via any front end to an access DB and view, and add records, but updating a record that another is accessing will generate an error. This is because the records are locked, and you don't want to break that lock, as you suffer corrupting the DB and referential integrity.

Hope this helps.

Yes, the problem is that one client got a connection keep alive, but I made it for simulate some problems like slow communication (or something else...), it's normal if I don't close the connection other client can't open mdb file for update ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.