Brand new to VB 2008 Express, but have done some work in VB 6. Not sure what I'm missing, but here goes. I have two comboboxes linked to an Access 2007 database. One box lists the names of the States in the US. This is what I used for the Table Adapter Configuration Wizard for the combobox "State"

SELECT ST_UID, ST_NAME FROM STATE

For the combobox County I used:

SELECT ST_UID, CTY_NAME FROM COUNTY

ST_UID is an Integer. I created a label with a bound value to STATE.ST_UID so that when a user selects the name of a state from the State box the appropriate ST_UID populates the label, (i.e, California has an ST_UID = 5). The problem is when a state is selected, I only want the Counties for that state to appear in the County box, i.e, COUNTY.ST_UID = 5 if California is the selected state.

I then tried to convert the value in the st_uid label to an integer:
Dim strState As String
Dim StUID As Integer
strState = Val(lblStateName.Text.ToString)
StUID = strState
This is what I last tried when again using the Table Adapter Configuration Wizard for the table that populates the County box:

SELECT ST_UID, CNTY_NAME FROM COUNTY Where ST_UID = 'StUID' Order By st_uid, cnty_name

What I'm getting is a "Data type mismatch in criteria expression."
I'm sure my error is something so simple I'll kick myself when I get this solved, but as I said I'm a beginner so any advice is most appreciated!

You need to covert the strState variable to a number when assigning it to StUID, using something like Val() or a .NET method like CInt. One example:

Dim StUID As Integer 
StUID = Val(strState )

Search MSDN for "convert string to number"

How to use Mathematical functions, Type Conversion functions, and String functions in Visual Basic .NET or in Visual Basic 2005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818805
Look at CInt example

You are using a list builder pattern. Find info at ...

List Builders
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511484.aspx#listBuilders

Thanks jeffryk16. Unfortunately I'm still getting the same error. In VB 6 I would have gotten around this by creating an ADODB parameter, but I didn't think that was necessary in .NET.

filter combobox in a datgrid based on another combobox vb.net
Hi ,,
i have problem with combobox
i have two combobox and two tables

table manages (ManageID, ManageName)
table Departments (DeptID, DeptName, Dept_ManageID)

1- CboEmp_Manage
2- CboEmp_Dept

Public Class Class1

Public sub FillCombobox (ByVal cbo As Combobox, ByVal TableName As String , ByVal Col_name As String , ByVal Col_Value As String , ByVal KKR As String)

Try
Dim VarSql As String
VarSql = ""
VarSql = "Select " + Col_name + " , " + Col_Value + " From " + TableName + " " + KKR
Dim sda As New SqlDataAdapter(VarSql , SQLCon)
Dim ds As New Dataset ()
sda.Fill(ds)
cbo.DataSource = ds.Tables(0)
cbo.DisplayMember = Col_name
cbo.ValueMember = Col_Value
Catch

End Try

End Sub

Private Sub CboEmp_Manage_SelectedValueChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CboEmp_Manage.SelectedValueChanged

WinClass.FillCombobox (CboEmp_Dept, "Departments WHERE Dept_Manage_ID LIKE '%" & CboEmp_Manage.SelecteIndex.ToString() & "%' " , "Dept_Name", "Dept_ID", "")

End Sub

its work but its give me wrong data from table

any help here

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.