Hello every one

i have a text file containing following data(it is a config file for another program):

[pos]
[lastsave]

How do i replace the value of [pos] i.e 100 with 200??

Thanks
BattleX

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

See if this helps.

Public Class Form1
    Private myCoolConfigFile As String = "C:\test.txt" '// your File to edit.
    Private arTemp() As String = Nothing '// String Array to load/modify/save File lines.
    Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        If IO.File.Exists(myCoolConfigFile) Then
            arTemp = IO.File.ReadAllLines(myCoolConfigFile) '// Load each File line as a array.
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        '// editFileContent(line you want to locate, content used to modify the next line)
        editFileContent("[pos]", TextBox1.Text)
    End Sub
    Private Sub editFileContent(ByVal lineContentToLocate As String, ByVal coolContentUsedToModifyNextLine As String)
        If Not arTemp.Length = 0 Then '// check if File lines are loaded.
            For i As Integer = 0 To arTemp.Length - 1 '// loop thru all lines.
                If arTemp(i) = lineContentToLocate Then '// check if line equals the line you need to find.
                    arTemp(i + 1) = coolContentUsedToModifyNextLine '// change the next line in your array.
                    Exit For '// exit the loop since done editing.
                End If
            Next
            IO.File.WriteAllLines(myCoolConfigFile, arTemp) '// Save modified File.
            MsgBox("File edited and saved.")
        End If
    End Sub
End Class

If you need to edit another line, use: editFileContent("[lastsave]", TextBox1.Text) . TextBox1.Text is the content to write to the file.

Thank you ver much!! :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.