I'm looking for a compact and small database engine to use, because i want to design an application
that will store, record and get data from a database, i'm thinking of using VB or java as the
programming language, the database that will work best for which programming please i need an advice on which databse engine to use, one that i can bundle with the application after it has been developed, so the user can use the application and the databse on their system freely. A flexible database engine.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If you want free --> MySQL
Can Pay----MS Access
Can pay more ---> Oracle
want free but not for business purpose ---oracle express

I'm looking for a compact and small database engine to use, because i want to design an application
that will store, record and get data from a database, i'm thinking of using VB or java as the
programming language, the database that will work best for which programming please i need an advice on which databse engine to use, one that i can bundle with the application after it has been developed, so the user can use the application and the databse on their system freely. A flexible database engine.

If you just need a relatively small database I would recommend using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express. Microsoft SQL Server Express 2008 is free as long as your database doesn't grow past 10 GB. If it does you will have to upgrade to the paid version. Microsoft SQL Server offers more user friendly tools and greater security than MySQL. I would suggest searching "Microsoft SQL Server vs MySQL" on bing or google to find out the differences.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.