Hello Friends.

Im a final year student for COmputer Security / Forensic. Im planning to do a project which requires me to do encryption and decryption. My possible choice of language would be VB.Net. I was wondering if wad is running in my mind can be executed. Well, I would make a application where a part of it wil be promting the guest to register and I wanted to store the password in the database. I did some research and came across Salting and Hashing. I was wondering if is it possible to get the password which the user enters, salt it, hash it and encrypt it before I store in the database. If so, what is the best secured strong encryption can I use in VB.net. Because through out the research I have done, i have sen RInjdael as the most fav encryption algo which alot of programmers using. JUst a though on this. Kindly advise me. Thank you for your generous help and for reading query.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You can try to use Base64 encoding.

Hi,

What you also can do is useDES Algorithm.
For more explanation, look here.

See also this thread.

thank you for your reply folks..one more query, can I knoe is it feasible to do a password manager / password keeper program using VB.net and also ASP.net with windows server 2005.. or is there any other database which is easier to execute or such. just an opinion thought because i am planning to use what I have stated above.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.