hello daniwebscoders.. can you help me with my project?? i want to save a finger print file to a sql server table and then i also wanted to read it when you tap the finger print reader and it will input a time in :) sry for my grammar

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Show some effort. Lets see what you have tried out

This sounds like fun!!!!
Your description is pretty broad. I'll take a stab at the nature of your finger print data file. I'll assume it contains a two dimensional array and for each two dimensional point it either has 0 or 1: 1 for a black dot and 0 for no dot. and that's how the finger print lines would be defined. In this case, saving data in SQL database is easy. you could have two tables: Users and FingerPrint. Users will have and ID and Name columns. FingerPrint will have ID (primary key), UserID, X, Y, Data(Bit) columns. Users table will map to FingerPrint table on UserID.

The FingerPrint table will contain all the finger print X, Y, and Data information. X, Y will correspond to the 2D space point and Data will tell you whether the point has a black dot or no dot.

Anytime you need finger print info for a particular user, just call a select statement from FingerPrint table where UserID = the user in question.

You haven't provided much info. Am I on the right track so far?

i need to do the same

from this code

Private Sub SaveButton_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles SaveButton.Click

Dim save As New SaveFileDialog()
save.Filter = "Fingerprint Template File (*.fpt)|*.fpt"
If save.ShowDialog() = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
Write template into the file stream
Using fs As IO.FileStream = IO.File.Open(save.FileName, IO.FileMode.Create, IO.FileAccess.Write)
Template.Serialize(fs)
End Using
End If
End Sub

how can i save to database????

Member Avatar for Unhnd_Exception

@rorrito
Create a varbinary column in your table and store the bytes.

dim fingerprintfile as byte() = my.computer.filesystem.readallbytes(apath)

command.parameters.addwithvalue("@FingerPrintFile",fingerprintfile)

What is the DB you are using?
If you are trying to use SQL Database then you can start by building 1 table and 2 stored procedures. one to trim the file name and one to inserting a file into your table. A table to hold your data.

CREATE TABLE dbo.TableName
(
	file_id INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
	file_data VARBINARY(MAX) NOT NULL,
	file_name VARCHAR(75) NOT NULL
)
CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.udfTrimString (@value VARCHAR(MAX))
RETURNS VARCHAR(MAX)
AS 
	BEGIN
	DECLARE @Trimmed VARCHAR(MAX)
	SET @Trimmed = RTrim(LTrim(@value))
	RETURN @Trimmed
	END
CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.uspInsertFile @file_data VARBINARY(MAX), @file_name VARCHAR(75)
AS
	INSERT INTO TableName(file_data,file_name)
	VALUES (@file_data, dbo.udfTrimString(@file_name))

Start by preping your database. Hope this part helps

I haven't done this but I know from my college education that you can store files in a database by converting the file to binary data.
I think you do this by using the namespace System.IO. I'm pretty sure there are bunch of posts on converting data file into binary data.
I'll have more posted one I figure out how to do this myself.
Good Luck!

Hi,i have stored finger print templates in a file with ID (e.g 1.ftp , 2.ftp etc).
i want to read the ID whose template is verified.i have done verification but how to read or retrieve the ID of that template...please help me...

hi everyone, had anyone figured this out yet?coz we really need to do it for our last years project, hope for your replies. thanks in advance!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.