Should I Start Here?

Member Avatar
VengefulToast
Light Poster
26 posts since Oct 2011
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Hi forum, I am wanting to advance my programming knowledge to the next level: to create games. I have a pretty-good understanding of VB.NET and I am wondering what I could do to make games. I know that most on-the-web games are written in ActionScript with Adobe Flash, but would Visual Basic be good for games also?

I am wanting to find some books over programming games from scratch, and I do not know of any good ones out there... The ones I have looked at were not very great.

Anyway, thanks for future replies and I hope to receive good advice.

Member Avatar
hericles
Veteran Poster
1,078 posts since Nov 2007
Reputation Points: 98 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 232 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 14 [?]
Featured

There is a number of books on game programming for IOS (objective C) and Android devices. I know you want to use your VB.Net knowledge but those devices are probably going to be the mobile game platforms of the future.

Member Avatar
VengefulToast
Light Poster
26 posts since Oct 2011
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]

Yea, I was actually planning on buying a MacBook next spring so I could start programming for iOS devices. I might start programming for Windows Phone too since I own Visual Studio 2008. Hm... Just have to explore I guess, I am just unaware of any good bookstores or sites that sell books on this topic.

Member Avatar
Netcode
Veteran Poster
1,052 posts since Jun 2009
Reputation Points: 33 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 86 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 8 [?]

Its a good start but you require more than just your vb.net knowledge. You need graphics handling and more and you may also want to consider hardware resources when picking a language. You can check amazon for a start, they have good books from various publishers.

best Wishes!

Member Avatar
bluehangook629
Posting Whiz in Training
207 posts since Dec 2009
Q&As Helped to Solve: 14 [?]

if you are planning on making games using vb.net then try Game Studio. Its developer's tool for xbox games, and I think i heard someone say that it uses vb.net as one of the programming languages.

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: