1.11M Members

function to get focus

hello !
look , for example i have 2 textboxes in my vb form, i want that when i press enter key the focus move from 1st textbox to 2nd textbox , i use this code on my every control to move focus

if e.keychar = chr(keys.enter) then 
textbox2.focus ()
endif

can any one help me to make a function to do same action when i press enter the focus move on next control , this sort of coding take so much time , :( please help me

Best Regards

M.Waqas Aslam

Hello waqasaslammmeo,

I use the following function to move to the control I want on the Enter Press. You must set the KeyPreview Property of the form to True. You can set up a Select Case if you have more than one you want to test for and move to. txtFuelCharge is a textbox as is txtTotal

Protected Overrides Function ProcessCmdKey(ByRef msg As System.Windows.Forms.Message, _
                                             ByVal keyData As System.Windows.Forms.Keys) _
                                             As Boolean

Dim cntrlName As String = ActiveControl.Name

If keyData = Keys.Enter And cntrlName = txtFuelCharge.Name Then
      txtTotal.Focus()
      Return True
    End If

'Close Connection to Access
    If keyData = Keys.F1 Then
      Friends.closeAccess = True
    End If

Return False

End Function

Not a Function, though it gets the job done.

Public Class Form1
    Private iT As Integer = Nothing '// TEMP.Integer to get # at end of TextBoxes.

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        setHandlersForCoolTextBoxes()
    End Sub

Private Sub setHandlersForCoolTextBoxes()
        '/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
        For Each txt As TextBox In New TextBox() {TextBox1, TextBox2, TextBox3, TextBox4} '// add your TextBoxes here.
            '/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
            AddHandler txt.KeyDown, AddressOf _myCoolTextBoxes_KeyDown
        Next
    End Sub

Private Sub _myCoolTextBoxes_KeyDown(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs)
        If e.KeyCode = Keys.Enter Then setFocusToNextCoolTextBox(CType(sender, TextBox)) '// send current TextBox to Sub.
    End Sub

Private Sub setFocusToNextCoolTextBox(ByVal selCurrentCoolTextBox As TextBox)
        With selCurrentCoolTextBox.Name
            iT = CInt(.Substring(.LastIndexOf("x") + 1)) + 1 '// get # at end of TextBo"x"# and add+1 for next TextBox, if Available.
        End With
        If Not CType(Me.Controls("TextBox" & iT.ToString), TextBox) Is Nothing Then '// if Available.
            With CType(Me.Controls("TextBox" & iT.ToString), TextBox)
                .Select()
                .BackColor = Color.LightSkyBlue  '// FOR.TESTING.
            End With
        Else
            MsgBox(".you need more TextBoxes you s.o.b.! xD", MsgBoxStyle.Information, ".just because.")
        End If
    End Sub
End Class

thanks bro , thank you so much :)

Question Answered as of 2 Years Ago by Phasma and codeorder

Glad I could help.:)

Isn't it about time forums rewarded their contributors?

Earn rewards points for helping others. Gain kudos. Cash out. Get better answers yourself.

It's as simple as contributing editorial or replying to discussions labeled or OP Kudos

You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: